So when SHOULD a man cry? Experiences?

Whenever the emotion to cry hits them. It's difficult not to cry when the emotion hits. Women know this. Men learn to do it as boys,when their father tells them to quit crying like a little girl. Hear that enough and you learn to keep it in. Of course as a child it's usually frustration vs grief. Kids handle grief better than adults in my opinion.

I stopped crying as a teenager. I cried when my 1st child was born, tears of joy. My 2nd child was 1 month premature and had to go in an oxygen tent. I didn't cry tears of joy for him, I was very worried. I cried when my father died 1 year after my 1st child was born. I cried when the twin towers came down. The only serious crying was when my Father died. I was very grief stricken.

Since then I cry at movies during really sad parts. Just a couple tears and snotty nose. I don't think it would be appropriate for a President to cry. I think If Bush would have cried when he addressed the nation on 9-11 it would have been inappropriate. When Obama got hit in the mouth and got 11 stitches I bet he had a few choice words to say. Doubt that he cried though.

I've seen my Dad cry twice...

When I told him I wanted to come back to Texas, could NOT stand living out in the boonies particularly ALONE all day because ONLY my school's teachers decided to strike...

The second was when Ol Papa, Dad's GrandDad, passed away... I was 19 then, my first funeral.

Now, to be honest I don't know anything about my Dad's manliness... I know he did hunt, but now feels that he'd rather be in his nice warm recliner rather than a freezing hide at 4am... but in any case, I don't think either instance of emotional display knocked him down to any kind of "sissy level" at all... proved he's human, sure, but still sporting the same amount as testosterone as before that.

A real man here.
old.gif
I only cry when I peel onions!
hit.gif
Sometimes at funerals.
hit.gif
Well, maybe a tear jerker movie every once in a while.
hit.gif
Very seldom when my wife won't let me have my way.
hit.gif
A few times I got a boo-boo & cried
hit.gif
...........but that's all!......except when I'm scared.
hit.gif

DH is a very "hold it in" type of guy although I have seen him cry a few times--when his mother died, when we got married and when our silkie chick died

My dad and brother are more emotional types and I have seen both of them cry before, several times

Hubby has cried several times during our marriage....when our dd was born, separation anxiety, afraid of losing dd, shame and guilt he felt toward us after he "acted before he thinks" scenario and he does cry when jokes have been said one after another. One time, him and his father got into a bad arguement and they both cried.....even with stout hearts they have, there are some tender moments. A few tears shed at our family/marriage counseling...afraid of failure, not living up to my standards in what I want out of my family.

I never saw my Dad cry....or he hid it well behind closed doors. I have to ask Mom if he ever did.

For me, I cry at any thing that hits me. Other times, I felt nothing (like someone who died that I didn't know like hubby's classmate).

Last edited:
Quote:
I SO agree! I think it is sad that society tells a man he can not display emotion, and must keep everything balled up inside just because of his gender. A man is a HUMAN - BEING with emotions. It is perfectly natural for them to express their emotions, just as much as it is for any woman to.

I understand a crybaby on the other hand is not appealling in EITHER gender. With my son (yes he is only 1) AND my daughter (4) I teach them that it is ok to cry, but not over every little thing. If you are hurt, then cry. If you are moved and feel the need to cry - then do it. But please don't cry because I told you "NO" or you aren't getting your way.
roll.png
Am I making sense?

*Just a note, I am a conservative, and I am a woman. I just don't feel it is right to deny a man his basic human instinct because he was born XY.
smile.png

Quote:
I SO agree! I think it is sad that society tells a man he can not display emotion, and must keep everything balled up inside just because of his gender. A man is a HUMAN - BEING with emotions. It is perfectly natural for them to express their emotions, just as much as it is for any woman to.

I understand a crybaby on the other hand is not appealling in EITHER gender. With my son (yes he is only 1) AND my daughter (4) I teach them that it is ok to cry, but not over every little thing. If you are hurt, then cry. If you are moved and feel the need to cry - then do it. But please don't cry because I told you "NO" or you aren't getting your way.
roll.png
Am I making sense?

*Just a note, I am a conservative, and I am a woman. I just don't feel it is right to deny a man his basic human instinct because he was born XY.
smile.png

2 x

Oh boy My Dh does not cry very often. Never when we dated the first 7 years-not at our wedding or birth of our daughters-we both cried through our seperation for a year-then when we put our lab down-cried and cried and cried-hours we both did as he was a huge part of our lives and in so many memories-that was the last time i saw him cry-now if his chihuahua died -the crying would begin again-when DD garduates-Im sure Ill see a tear or two...

Back
Top Bottom