So when we started this chicken stuff..we decided on 8

Hello, my name is Nate and I am a Chickenholic

I wanted 25 in September 2010. I ended up with 55... I sold those (they were mix breeds) then I bought 30 Rsl I sold 5 bought 14 Americana's sold 8. I traded nest boxes for 12 True Wellsummers. Current count for Hens is 42 Hens and 7 Roosters 49 Total. I also have 21 chicks in the brooder, 7 Bsl pullets, 8 Buff Orphingtons pullets, 6 Americana St Runs. Total chickens is 70 as of March 5th! I'm expecting 27 Delawares with 3 Roosters, Maybe Cuckoo Marans, on March 30th. Then 100 RIR pullets, 50Rsl/Bsl, and 25 Cornish X broilers on April 20th! I will sell the RIR pullets to pay for feed Costs. I am wanting to start breeding and selling chicks and hatching eggs. Total chicks expected for 2011 is 175-200!

So 25=270 chickens

Does this make you feel better?

Nate

Last spring, my son fell in love with fuzzy, little chickies. Minimum purchase is six. City allows three (at the time). I said I'll take his three extras. One turns out to be a roo, so I'm only getting two. Coop will hold four, so I go on Craig's list, find an EE and a FBCM. We're building second coop, and I purchase mini incubator. Figure I can't get into too much trouble with a mini. Order a dozen Brabanter eggs. She sends nineteen, but one is broken. A friend is hatching the extras for me. We'll see how many hatch. I'm hoping to keep a roo for eggs. At the same time, I'm wondering about genetic diversity, and maybe I should order some eggs from another source, too. A friend has Russian Orloffs. That's a cool breed, too. Maybe I should get some eggs from her? Mr. Hallerlake doesn't know about them yet.

Quote:
OK, that is the funniest emoticon I have ever seen in my life...that says it all, especially when you are talking about Chicken Math...

This morning the feed store surprised me with 5 bantams, but I already have 8 standards on order...what to do? Maybe the better half won't realize that the promised 6-8 is now 13, but wait, don't forget the frizzles I just 'have' to have, and well, the Polish are darn cute too...help!

Last edited:
lol.png
lol.png
I told my husband that I am glad we live in town right now, as my chicken math sucks.
tongue.png

lau.gif

I'm reading these posts and thinking to myself, "See I'm not so strange!". Well story is this: Started a year ago after months and months of research and reading on BYC. Told my husband that with the economy and the world the way it is and all we need to be more "self sufficient".

We built a coop/run. It was great the kids enjoyed the adventure. We got 6 "pullets" (One is our Alpha roo now) some EE's and a couple leghorns and a barred rock. My DH aunt bought 4 for her grandkids and then they didn't want them so "we had chickens already so what's 4 more?"
hu.gif

Ok...so things were going good and guess what there's a guy down the road that has some POL "pullets"...off we go to get a couple. Came home with 6 more ...2 of which ended up roos.

Ok... then a nice lady was giving away a silkie roo and OMG...he's adorable! (before we knew the others were roos too) so ok...lost count how many....

Things went quickly ...hens started laying, eggs, eggs and love the eggs.

Kids are excited! Husband is impressed. Ok good... friend has baby ducklings...ok we got 4 of those, DD friend wanted 2. So 2 ducks, 1male/1female ended up...Nice!
thumbsup.gif

This was all a year ago. We wintered well (oh yeah added a bunny too). Lost a couple recently just due to the weather conditions here. Sent a roo or two to friends. Processed a couple roos who were getting aggressive. (Good soup!)

I decided we needed more eggs since now I've got regular customers for eggs. Went to TSC and picked up "wanted a dozen" 15 golden comets. Lost one the next day. Ok... we're still at 29 total.

Oh forgot the 2 silkie/cuckoo maran mix that a nice lady on BYC gave us since we lost our hatch in the incubator.

Hubby goes to the feed store to get some stuff and guess what? Comes home w/ 4 banties for me!

Total flock... 33 chickens/ 2 ducks/1 bunny/ 2 dogs/numerous barn cats and 6 kids! So there ya have it! Normal right?
th.gif

DH told me last night as he was sitting here eating his b'fast (night shifter)...I was reading him all these replies...

I said whats a couple more chicks? I also said You can always add to the frame before you close it all up...

he said..no more chicks..what about an incubator..TSC has one for about $50

I about THUDDED right then & there...

WE DONT HAVE ROOM for them lol...

I lived with my grandma all through high school and she had about ten. Spring would come around and we'd just have to go look at the babies, and usually left with about 5-10 more. Grandpa would get mad and then we'd sell a few older ones who didn't lay anymore. Of course the next year we'd go get more again and start the cycle over. So we always had about twenty.

I moved in with my boyfriend (who doesn't like animals) about two years ago and talked him into letting me get two so I could hand raise them for my last year in 4H. He agreed and I got two. A week later he decided he wanted one (of course) so we went to go look for one. Left the store with two more and also two ducks. The ducks ended up being mean to the chickens so we got rid of them after the 4H fair. One died during the winter, so that left us with three. About a week and a half ago we went to go pick up three more and left with eight. Four ended up dieing so we went and got one more. Now we're waiting for TSC to get theirs in so we can go get three more. Won't surprise me if we leave there with way more than we want.

So started out with four, now have eight and still are getting more.

I'm at 42 chickens, 3 new ducks and I've got 6 chicken eggs that will hatch soon...to top it...I'm getting a bunch more chickens & eggs this coming week...hehehe. I'm a chicken addict. They are wonderful pets.
smile.png

I am so jealous of you all.
sad.png
I wish we lived outside of town on some acreage so I could have as many as I want. One day. Then I wont have to worry about if my math is getting out of hand or not.
lol.png

Original count = 8
Lost 2 to racoon = 6
Replaced with 4 = 10
Neighbor gave us 2 she bought for her 6 month old grandson = 12
Hubby said absolute limit was = 12
Current count = 18
tongue.png
(might be more if I go to the feed store again.....)

Back
Top Bottom