So worried

moeell1

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
My babies are outside for the night for the first time, they are fully feathered but they are calling each other and just in there yard and haven't gone into their coop. So i put a light out there for them in there coop till they know what they are doing? I'm worried!!
sad.png
sad.png

I think you should put them in the coop yourself ( and close them in) for a few nights so they'll learn the routine.

Ok they where all laying outside the coop right next too the building so I dragged my daughter out with me and we ran an extension cord out too the girls, turned on some lights and put them inside, they where SO happy!! I'm such a sucker
smile.png
Now i'm sure i'll check on them a few more times before i go to bed and than run out there to them in the AM
smile.png

I was a wreck the first night the girls slept outside. We had put them out for the daytime a few days in a row because they were just getting too big for the cage and were completely bored! Then, after 3 days, it was just too distressing for them to be packed into the cage inside so we decided to graduate them to the coop! The first night I had to put them in the side, with the main door shut, and I worried all night long! Then, the next morning, raised the door and everyone came out running and pecking and happy as anything! The next night, I went outside to close the door and NO HENS IN THE RUN! My heart skipped a beat and I peeked inside where everyone was roosting happily, looking at me as if to say, "Mommy, it's nighttime, please tuck us in!" LOL Now, every evening my husband asks me if I have tucked the girls in already! The only time I have ever seen them in distress outside was when I decided to raise the coop and build a new run. They were very confused but I have heard that chickens do not like change. They sounded like they were crying. I was so upset. But they settled down quickly and everything is fine now! They got used to going up the ramp faster than I thought but still have trouble coming down! they all fly out every morning! I think I'll make them a wider ramp at less of an angle!

should only take a few days of you putting them to bed before they all have it figured out.... each night fewer birds will be found outside and more in the coop where they should be!

That is what I had to with my chicks tonight. I am not sure that they have figured out how to get inside the coop yet.

Back
Top Bottom