When can I introduce the chicks we raised?

TheNewFeathers

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
Hi all!

We raised 5 chicks this summer. They are ranging in ages, but the youngest is over 8 weeks, the oldest is almost 12 weeks.

Would it be safe to introduce them to the flock? They've been raised from 3 weeks old right next to the older chickens, so they see each other daily. All are fully feathered, except the 8 week old still needs a couple face feathers.

I plan on putting them in the coop at night with the big girls and letting them roost first, but I mainly want to make sure they're old enough.

Attachments

• PXL_20230913_001247355.jpg
    PXL_20230913_001247355.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20230913_001233308.jpg
    PXL_20230913_001233308.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Personally I put my chicks in the coop much earlier than this. I usually start by having a hole where the chicks can go in and out, but the older birds can't. Your birds might be to large for that method, so you might need to add some places for them to hide. Just make sure you don't have any deadends.

I think they'll be fine, especially if they have seen each other the whole time. You will want to check often the days after you introduce, and you should expect some pecks, especially at mealtime, but I'll bet it will be mostly uneventful.

Really should let them mingle in the run first with some supervision to start, before attempting to put them in the coop. Kinda wish you didn't wait so long, you can't use chick doors at this point because they're way too big for them, so you're going to need to rely on clutter in the run to provide safe spots for them to get away from any bullying: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140

Is there clutter in the run? I don't see any in the photos - can you get some further back? How large is the run overall and how many birds total?

Really should let them mingle in the run first with some supervision to start, before attempting to put them in the coop. Kinda wish you didn't wait so long, you can't use chick doors at this point because they're way too big for them, so you're going to need to rely on clutter in the run to provide safe spots for them to get away from any bullying: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140

Is there clutter in the run? I don't see any in the photos - can you get some further back? How large is the run overall and how many birds total?
Okay! I've just always heard to put them in the coop at night.

I can add clutter! That's no problem.

I've added two pullets to this flock in the past, with minimal issue. My girls are pretty laid back.

10 birds, 110 sq feet

Back
Top Bottom