Soaking whole grain mix overnight for chicks

Lavender Mum

Chirping
Mar 22, 2023
I'm posting tonight to share my feed plan for my chicks. It's my first time having chickens and they should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I didn't want them to get started on traditional crumble or pellets because everything I found is full of soy and fillers. After a ton of research these past few days I decided to create a whole grain mix based on which vitamins/amino acids are vital for chicks. I don't think this mix is perfect yet but, I'm comfortable with this starting point for them:
* This mix will result in 1 lb. of feed.
* I boiled water for 15 minutes to remove any chlorine. While water boiled I mixed the grains and egg shells in a large glass bowl and set them aside. Next, I cut the tops off the broccoli (finely chopped them). I chose broccoli florets because they are tender and easy for the chicks to eat. We also used the broccoli leaves because there high in anti oxidants and contains vitamins E and K. After that I finely chopped up my kale leaves and put them with the broccoli. We chose kale for a vegetable protein because it contains the necessary amino acids cystine and methionine. When the water was ready I poured it over the grains until they were just covered. The water soaked up fast and the seeds already felt soft after 20 minutes. I didn't want to soak the broccoli and kale because I figured it could get too soft and I'm not exactly sure when the chicks will show up. I will add the greens to the mix before serving the feed. I want to mention this isn't a fermented feed method, it's just an overnight soak.

NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS:
Protein: Split Pea - 20% = 91 Grams

Grain: Cracked Corn - 33.5% = 152 Grams
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - 33.5% = 152 Grams

Vegetable Protein: Broccoli - 7.5% = 34 Grams
Kale - 7.5% = 34 Grams

Pasture: Grass, Weeds, Etc. - 2% = 9 Grams

Calcium: Baked Egg Shells (Finely Crushed) - 2% = 9 Grams

Salt: 1% = 4.5 Grams

We will also be using a mix of water, honey, garlic and apple cider vinegar for the first 2 days. It gives them an immune and probiotic boost. This is a 1 gallon mix and sits overnight: 1 gallon of water, 2 cloves of garlic (smashed), 1/2 cup of raw honey and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. After 2 days I will use a regular mix of 1 gallon water and 1 tablespoon ACV.

This is our first mix and we will be supplementing this recipe and their diets with fruits, vegetables, compost, microgreens, marigolds, herbs, meats, fish and insects, eggs, etc. We are open to all opinions, discussion, suggestions, tips and knowledge. We will be updating this post as we adjust our food and ratios and tracking our chicks progress.

Last edited:
I thought the baked crushed egg shells would be a good grit supplement. I've read about oyster shells being good and plan to get them but for now I had egg shells on hand and read that they are a great alternative.

I'm not sure that's a good idea @Lavender Mum ; chicks need really small particles.

I gave home made chick feed for the first time last summer, and based what I gave on old poultry handbooks, from the pre-commercial feed era when all adult birds ate whole grains.

This is what I gave mine - and they thrived on it:
as chick feed and with them on grass from day 2, I gave several times a day and in small quantities some of the following: milk-soaked bread (or fermented-feed-liquor-soaked bread), chopped boiled egg, wheat flakes, oats (not whole), cornmeal, ground dry cat food (or smashed sardines or peanut butter), a little veg oil, natural yogurt, currants, and live mealworms. For most of the day every day their broodies led them to forage for assorted flora and fauna in the garden.
with the chicks I aimed for roughly (all eyeballed, not measured as such) 20% protein (from the milk, mealworms, sardines, catfood, or peanut butter) and the rest carbs (from the bread or grain products). I figure that adequate vitamins and minerals will be supplied by the other foods mentioned, and by the grass, weeds and bugs that they forage. I have a SS with the nutritional profile of foods I may or do give them, to consult when I can't remember e.g. how much fat or protein a live mealworm typically contains, and that highlights particularly good sources of x, y, or z, which I then make sure to give in the next meal if I haven't offered it for a while or see any sign of deficiency in it.
If you let them forage on soil, they will find their own grit if it's there; I think I'd supply some sand to be on the safe side until they're a bit bigger, especially since yours are not going to have a broody to teach them.

I'm not sure that's a good idea @Lavender Mum ; chicks need really small particles.

I gave home made chick feed for the first time last summer, and based what I gave on old poultry handbooks, from the pre-commercial feed era when all adult birds ate whole grains.

This is what I gave mine - and they thrived on it:

If you let them forage on soil, they will find their own grit if it's there; I think I'd supply some sand to be on the safe side until they're a bit bigger, especially since yours are not going to have a broody to teach them.
I planned to make the mix smaller by putting it in the food processor in the AM. Do you think that would be ok or is there a better idea you have for me with what I have made up already? With sand is that something I'd add to the food or put in a separate dish? Thanks for the advice!

chopping up small is a very good idea.

I don't know how many chicks you have coming, but their appetites (and poos!) are tiny to begin, and if you make up a lot and it's wet you risk a lot of waste if it goes moldy.

Given where you are already, I would have multiple small low-edged dishes/jar lids, and keep your wet grain/pea mix separate from your veg/greens, and the sand separate again. I would leave out the salt entirely to start; given them something with a little salt naturally in it instead, again in a separate dish. And a dish of plain water, separate from a dish of the water with whatever additions you want to make to it.

Putting them all on a tray would probably make life easier for you and the chicks. You will need to use your finger like a broody's beak, and tap it in each dish of food and water till they start to copy you; you can trust their instincts thereafter to decide how much to eat from each dish. They will eat little and often, and sleep in between, with little bursts of activity exploring their world.

Remove and replace any mouldy food or mucky water as soon as you notice it.

Don't hesitate to call me direct (using the @Perris system) if you need help or advice as you go; I don't live online and may miss posts otherwise. Good luck!

I thought the baked crushed egg shells would be a good grit supplement. I've read about oyster shells being good and plan to get them but for now I had egg shells on hand and read that they are a great alternative.
All hens need two kinds of grit, oyster shell grit (or you can use egg shells for this) for calcium, and granite (small rock) grit for their digestion as they don't have teeth.
Young chicks need the granite type grit as soon as they eat anything other than chick starter, so with the diet you are going to be doing as soon as they eat their first meal.
They will also need a source of calcium, so some crushed egg shells might be good for that, but I am no expert on chick diets so can't really comment on that.

chopping up small is a very good idea.

I don't know how many chicks you have coming, but their appetites (and poos!) are tiny to begin, and if you make up a lot and it's wet you risk a lot of waste if it goes moldy.

Given where you are already, I would have multiple small low-edged dishes/jar lids, and keep your wet grain/pea mix separate from your veg/greens, and the sand separate again. I would leave out the salt entirely to start; given them something with a little salt naturally in it instead, again in a separate dish. And a dish of plain water, separate from a dish of the water with whatever additions you want to make to it.

Putting them all on a tray would probably make life easier for you and the chicks. You will need to use your finger like a broody's beak, and tap it in each dish of food and water till they start to copy you; you can trust their instincts thereafter to decide how much to eat from each dish. They will eat little and often, and sleep in between, with little bursts of activity exploring their world.

Remove and replace any mouldy food or mucky water as soon as you notice it.

Don't hesitate to call me direct (using the @Perris system) if you need help or advice as you go; I don't live online and may miss posts otherwise. Good luck!
Hey Perris,
I ordered 8 and got 9. I didn't add any salt since the peas contain it naturally. I gave them plain water too and they are all drinking both waters I put out. They absolutely loved the feed and plowed through it within an hour. I'll make sure not to mix up a large batch of feed so I don't get mold issues. So far they are doing just as you said, eating a bunch, quick naps and then back to exploring. Thanks for all the helpful advice and I'll reach out when I have questions.

Back
Top Bottom