Soap Makers Help!

Have you ever infused your oil with calendula flowers? I got a nice sized baggie of them at the health food store for only .75 cents, and once I get some more oo, I'm going to put them in there. Not sure on how long to soak them, though.

Quote:
Yes, actually! In quart jars, on the windowsill, after an initial slow warming on the stove to "kick-start" it. I've also used lavender, chamomile, and roses.

did not know that I would have to heat it up, thanks! I was just going to shove it into the bottle and leave it there for a month or two, lol.

Quote:
That would work, it would just take longer. You can also double, triple or however-many-times infuse. Infuse the oil the first time, for however long, then strain it, put in fresh herbs/flowers and start the process over again. You get a more powerful infusion that way than you do if you just let it sit an extra long time with only one batch of herbs/flowers.

There are lots of ways to do it--Google "infusing oils" and poke around. Have fun!

I really need to start my batch and let my wories go... can I do it without a stick blender realisticly.. I just dont have the money at the moment to get one. I could pick one up from walmart for under 20 but that still is quite a bit for us right now.

and NINJA... do you have to trace your oilve oil soap.. and would I change the properties quite a bit if I was to add like 1 or 2 % of another oil with high lather properties?

Last edited:
Quote:
I did not know what kind of oil it was either...so I looked it up. Depending on which brand it is mostly cottonseed, vegetable, and soybean blends?? I think it is fine for the home crafter...but when making large batches like I make...it could be risky.

Alternate USES were shocking...I cannot believe they tout it as an *ahem* lubricant!
ep.gif

http://www.answers.com/topic/crisco

I rebatch as little as possible....but others have had good success with it. My rebatched soaps never come out smooth in texture and have a very waxy appearance. I do shave my soap and use my end pieces in a confetti soap...which has proven to be a great seller also.

Ninja...how do your rebatched bars look? I do the low temp in stove for 24 hour method...MUST have patience....must make soap.
fl.gif

Quote:
Hand stirring does produce a trace just as nicely as a stick blender....my only batches that have seized are those with a stick blender.

I use my husband's cordless DRILL with a wire whisk beater on the end....same results. Do you have it charged??
wink.png

I LOVE to recycle anything....find new uses for them...did you think about going to GOOD WILL or Salvation Army and check out their kitchen supplies....my soaping stuff is ALL from this. I challenged myself NOT to go to Wal-Mart or Target for things I could find easily. Some friends raided their old stuff in their kitchens and gladly handed over plastic and glass pitchers, stainless steel spoons and old pots...just ask and tell them you'd trade for a few bars of soap when you are done!!

HAPPY recycling!!
lol.png

Quote:
I am not Np but for me it depends on the soap recipe I am putting together if I will or will not rebatch.

The last one I rebatched was goat milk, honey, oatmeal and it smelled heavenly. I did the very slow melt in the oven process. I had nearly 200 ounces of oil in that failed mix. It melted well but still was not the look I wanted. I ended up making a new half batch combining it with the old rebatch and the result was great.

If I ever have to rebatch again this is what I will do again - melt, add it to a half batch of new soap, pour in to slab molds, cut and cure.

I agree with recycling. Great things to be found!

I was thinking I'd seen a "new" Crisco product that had no hydrogenated fats, with a green label...but I sure can't find anything about it on their website!

My rebatched soaps turn out pretty well, but I add a lot of liquid to them. The trick seems to be SPEED. When it reaches that mashed potato consistency, you have a matter of seconds to transfer the soap from the pot or (if microwaving) bowl to the mold, and compress it QUICKLY, because it cools FAST.

I only use a loaf mold when rebatching--one with a lid that fits down into the mold. I press the lid down into the soap with all my strength, while it's still nice and hot, working as fast as I possibly can. I mean, I really lay into it, pressing it down. That seems to make a real difference.

Back
Top Bottom