Soap Makers Help!

I agree with Morgaine. You need to read the laws yourself. Poultry are not necessarily considered to be "livestock" and are therefore OK in some areas. Unless they specifically ban poultry, you may be OK.

It might also be worth trying to change local laws. Madison, WI is not all that far from you and they've been quite successful in this area.

As for me, my girls are legal. I live in a town of over 100,000 residents on a 6,400 sf lot. If I wanted to, I could stand at my back door and toss rocks and accurately hit 5 houses without much effort at all. In fact, in OC, MOST cities allow chickens with restrictions (number, no roosters). I think there's a lot of precedent for working toward change, so much so that BYC has an entire section dedicated to this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=37

Thanks guys
love.gif
I'll check it out. DH said to look at the laws to and if I have to I should sell the four youngest girls. If I really have to after that I'll put chicken diapers on the other 2 and they can be called house chickens lol. My hen "Red" would LOVE to be a house chicken. She dives through the back door at every chance.
DH is looking at EO's
th.gif
He is thinking of getting me some.
I ordered a handful of stuff today. I'll have to get my list together of what I ordered since I'm distracted by other things.

Quote:
WooHoo, you've dawing him over to the dark side! What eo's is he looking at?

I hope you can get everything worked out with your girls. I bet the people might not even care about that. That is great that your dh is adopting your boys. I have a lot of respect for that. Good luck Corrie.

He is looking at fall scents and more woody ones as well. Most of them sounded good a couple I was a littl iffy about. lol He wants a kiwi, strawberry and banna triple layer soap and I think thats what he is looking for. He was hungry for sweets when he thought of that one lol.

That does sound good! I wonder what a kiwi fo would smell like? That's not one you see vey much.

I'm going to do my first batch of hot process tomorrow. I'm reading up on it now. I'll do buttemilk & grits. Well see how it goes.

anyone use the little muslin or netting bags for their soaps??

I had a lady ask me how she could make her soap last longer.

I thought if you put it in a bag it would help keep the soap from melting in the shower...

Any ideas and where to buy cheaply??

I thought about making some little pocket holders out of wash clothes but they would be a bit expensive and I want to keep the cost down so they sell....

Thanks.

Quote:
Morgaine will probably have the answer for you regarding the bags but I thought I'd step in with another idea. The key to the soap lasting longer is to keep it from sitting in water. I've had great luck with these slatted soap savers:
http://www.shoptilludrop.com/slatted-soap-savers.html
I bought mine at World Market and paid less than this price. You might be able to find a wholesale price on them. The one I bought is clear.

Since the soap is elevated and the slats allow the water to drain, the soap has a chance to dry out between showers. More often than not, we have 4 people using that shower each day, so our soap gets a lot of use. If we happen to have more than one soap in there and it's left on the regular tray, it gets significantly softer than the one on the soap saver. They DO work!

Everyone keep your fingers crossed
fl.gif
for me please. I mailed off an application with pictures of my booth for the Covered Bridge Harvest Festival at the county fairgrounds. I'm hoping I can get in. It is a three day long event and I'll be there 8 hours each day. I'm hoping to be more harvest themed scents after the FM this Saturday and then soap like crazy.

That sounds soo cool! I hope you get in! i've been applying to a couple of places too, though I haven't heard back from anyone but the Madisonville Mushroom festival and I'm in there. One Of them I have VERY high hopes for. It's right around Christmas time and is a geat show that gets a lot advertising.

Corrie, could I make one suggestion? I would look to invest in or make some table cloths that go all the way to the ground if you are going to be doing festivals. I got some nice ones from Ross for $6. It makes your booth look better and gives you an easy place to hide your extra inventory. One of the places I applied for made it manditory that all tables be skirted to floor. I'm so excited for you! That sounds like such a cool festival. Wish we had more stuff like that here. You don't see very many covered bridges.

ametauss- I have a few customers who use my bags in the shower ( i haven't done that, I like the feel of hte soap in my hands) and htey have told me that it makes it last longer. I use the nylon puff every now and then and I do think it helps too. BB's advice is great too. I'm cheap and just put my soap on top of the shampoo bottle and make sure it stays out the falling water.

Back
Top Bottom