Soap Makers Help!

I have gotten requests for liquid soap too, but just now got around to trying to do it. Not sure how much I enjoyed making it. I just didn't get the same satisfaction as when I do regular cold process soaps. Did you feel that way too?

I know Failor talks a LOT about making sure that your soaps are clear. Which is why she used extra lye so that there are no free fatty acids to cloud up the soap. Me, I personally would rather have a mild soap that lathers really well and have it be a little cloudy. So I'm going to play around a little bit, see what different oils are like and play around with the superfat some. Did you ever try to play with the superfat of the liquid soap? From what I have read, 3-4% is the highest you can really go.

I wonder if I can make a batch of all Olive 3% SF and mix it with the coconut/almond paste I have already made as a way to see what what the two oils would be like together? Hmm...

I guess I'll go and dilute some of the paste I have now and get some pictures of that to post.

Did you ever use the turkey red castor oil in any of your recipes? I'm going to look around and see if I can find some of that locally to experiment with too.

Quote:
You know...I'm kind of wondering if you used ONLY liquid oils (ie Fractionated coconut oils or even Castor?) in your recipe it might make a better liquid soap? I have had requests for DOG liquid soap as well...but I was going to use a shampoo recipe...this is Ellen Peacocks recipe...but appears to be the same as yours with the Borax.
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/liquidsoap/ss/basicliquidsoap.htm

For the clearest soap, use tallow.

turkey red castor does not saponify ... keep that in mind.

I never enjoyed making the liquid soap. You can have fun with it though ... put in shiny micas, put it in a foamer bottle!

Coconut makes such a good base oil for liquid soaps because of the lauric acid which makes it very soluble. You can use it in higher concentrations before it begins to congeal. It will also give you a clearer finished soap.

Soft oils like Olive are usually higher in Oleic and make for less lather and less solubility.

Oils high in stearic or palmitic also make good Liquid soaps, but will be cloudy.

Atleast that is all according to Catherine Failor. I'm going to do some experimenting and not take everything I read as gospel.

Quote:
Yes...I'd just use regular castor oil it SAP value is nearer Olive. To make Turkey Red...they add sulfuric acid to castor oil. I've never soaped with Turkey Red...because the sulfuric acid turned me off. IMHO Do not know if it really makes a difference or not.
idunno.gif

I'm going to order some fractionated coconut oil... and maybe try this out.

You can't make a post like that and not tell us what you are soaping! You TEASE!
tongue2.gif

I'm diluting some of my liquid soap right now. And then I'll have to clean the stove.

5920_025.jpg

Note to self: Don't watch Zombieland when you should be watching your soap!

I never realized we had our own soap maker's thread here. I have been making soap for a few years now. I am looking forward to getting a few goats so I can try making goats milk soap from my own goats.

Back
Top Bottom