Soap Makers Help!

I want to try that one. How much fragrance would there be in that recipe? Three ounces? I don't like heavy scent.

I really think I'll use that recipe because I can find coconut oil locally, that sounds so simple. Could I use any milk or cream? Canned goats milk?
My goats are still too young. I need to get practiced though!

If I were to use canned goats milk would you freeze it?

If you don't like heavy scents, I would use 2 oz.

This is a really easy recipe to soap, just do not discount your water much because it gets really hard!

I'm not a milk soap expert. But here is what I do for my milk soaps. I mix almost equal parts lye and water (always use just a little more water) and then once that is cool (below 100 degrees) I add my milk/cream/yogurt and then right away add to my melted and cooled oils. I also add powdered milk to my oils and make sure to give it a whirl with the stick blender right before adding the lye. I do this way because it is easier and since I have to buy my milk, a little cheaper.

This recipe is one you don't want to over insulate. Even more inportant if you are doing a milk soap with the recipe. It can over heat easier than other recipes. I would just cover with some parchment paper or something like that.

Canned goat's milk is like evaporated milk, right? I can't remember right now off the top of my head. But if it is, I would go with the method I just talked about above. If it is not concentrated milk, you can freeze 3/4 of the milk in ice cube trays. Then when you are ready, pour the other 1/4 milk over your ice cubes and then slowly add your lye to the mix. You may need to have the container in an ice bath to keep the temps low. Make sure that all the lye gets dissolved.

You can use any milk. I like buttermilk a lot in my soap. Yogurt is nice too. I haven't used soy milk or almond milk yet though.

This is a very very flexible recipe. You can add equal parts salts as you did oils ( so 3 pounds of salt for this recipe) and you have a great salt bar.

I've used soymilk and almond milk...LOVELY it is. I notice the bar is much harder with soymilk and almond milk at 24 hours than the goatsmilk ones.

MORGAINE...your rack looks like mine right now (-: I've been rebatching all my trimmings...WOW am I making some cool stuff! I'll have to post a few pics soon!

PS...which flavor is your dark dark brown bar?? Is it vanilla??

The really dark one is dragon's blood.

I can't wait to see what other soapies you've been making. You always have such unique and creative bars!

Maybe I'll add almond milk to my almond and oatmeal. Almond and soy milks have a lot more protein in them than goats milk don't they? I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I'm trying to figure out how to ship small samples of soap, about one sixth of a bar. How does everyone do this? Can it be shipped in an envelope?

So if your batch of curing soap is getting spots that means?

I've used the same recipe successfully twice before so I don't think it is that. This batch was a little cooler when I mixed it and it went to trace very quickly. I blended a good long time still after that because I wanted to make sure it got really well mixed.

This was my prettiest batch so far (I'm only on my third one) so it is a little sad to see the spots, although there are not many and they are not bad. I was able to potato-peel them off but wonder what it means?

Were they stored on metal? What kind of water did you use? What all did you put in the soap? Herbs or anything?

Could you post a picture?

Quote:
Thanks for the help! I am SUCH a novice soap-maker but I was given some goats-milk soap and it was the absolute BEST stuff ever. So I made my own and it was "ok" but didn't seem as luxurious as the stuff I was given. Here's the "BASIC" recipe I have (as given to me by the same person who made the uber-great freebie I tried):

1 lb lard
6 oz almost frozen (slushy) goat milk
2 oz lye

My pictures are too big to post here and I don't know how to shrink them, but yes, they were stored on metal but it was stainless steel and the spots are on the sides as well as where the metal touched.

I used regular water. Would distilled be better?

I did not add anything and my recipe is just crisco, lye and water and my fragrance.

Back
Top Bottom