Soap Makers Help!

Well I have a can from those deep fried onions that I saved. I was thinking of sinking the loofa into it lengthwise and then pouring the soap into that container. The only problem is the loofa I managed to find is kind of narrow and slender and the can is more round.
I have a very sharp knife I was hoping would slice through the loofa, but that would be my concern, that the amount of force to slice the loofa would chip or ruin the soap slices or that sliced lengthwise a loofa might not be comfy against the skin.

The scrubbies I bought are those inexpensive plastic things. I was thinking of putting them into a little box mold I made from a recycled candy box, I think two will fit into there and I can just slice it in half.

I was going to use my "standard" recipe I've been using which is a simple crisco recipe because I've managed to make a couple of batches and it is coming out well.

I love the poppy seed and orange peel ideas. The orange peel especially appeals because it seems like it would leave a bright orangey scent. Do you zest the oranges like you would for cooking?

I think I'll try the coffee grinder on the oatmeal next time for my hubby. He liked my other oatmeal soap but when you get down to the end of the bar, the whole oatmeal is pretty much all that is left and it makes a messy lump.

I can't comment on the loofa cause I have not used them yet.

If you are going to use the can, make sure that it is not aluminum. It will wreck havoc with your soap if it is! I'm not sure how you would test to make sure if is or not though.

I'll see if I can find a picture of my poppy seed soap
soaphousewedding001.jpg

If you use orange peel, make sure it is dried out completly or else it might get moldy. I have not had it transfer scent. I use like a teaspoon Per pound of oil.

I haven't been on in awhile either...got that email from Rob on facebook and thought I'd come and post photos. Hope all are well...I've got some new scents I'm going to be soaping in the next few days. Here are some photos of my latest creations...
1889_weddingswirl.jpg

1889_lilyswirl.jpg

1889_greenteaswirl.jpg

So sad today...one of my lakenvelders was found dead on the floor of my coop...she looked fine.....just laying on her back peacefully...not sure what happened. I buried her and her BEST HEN Friend followed me and stayed with me the whole time I dug. )-: She was really sad for her friend...amazing how you could see her emotion. Chickens do have feelings )-: The only thing I can think is that I picked up some hatchery new baby chicks and have been slowly incorporating them into the flock...they are in a cage in the coop separated from the rest of the flock. They are all growing fantastic...still sad for my Lakenvelder though. She was a good girl...gave me an egg daily for 2 years now. EVEN throughout the winter!

OH well...HOpe you all are doing well and enjoying your spring weather!

Beautiful soaps, cheeptrick!! Really, pretty!

I'm so sorry to hear about your lakenvelder.
sad.png
That's so sad for her friend as well. How is she doing now? When our Penny died in January, the other two looked for her for at least 2 or so weeks before they finally accepted that she was gone. I hope that your lakenvelder's friend finds a new buddy in the flock.

BWAHAHAHA after asking, and being looked at like a crazy and/or criminal person, at Lowes, Home Despot, etc. I FINALLY found pure lye at Westlake Arlington Hardware!! WOOT!! So, once I get the coop done THEN I can finally get around to trying soap! YAY!

Edit... Holy Soap Bubbles those are PRETTY!! I love the one with the purple swirlies!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom