Soap Makers Help!

The lilacs are blooming here and I would love to make a lilac infusion to use in some soap. Does anyone have any experience with infusing lilacs? I've not found a whole lot of info on it other than to remove the flowers from the stem and you may have to infuse several different batches of flowers in the same oil to meet your goal.

Made another couple of soaps today. Eucalyptus Mint swirled with 2 tones of green and Sunflower.

I have a love/hate relationship with Sunflower FO. I love, love, love the scent and hate the in.a.minute.soap.on.a.stick. I soap it cool, put the FO into the warmed oils so there isn't a temperature shock, I use extra liquid in my lye solution. All to no avail. It seizes so quickly. I just keep stirring until it starts to gel. Yup, it's like doing HP! And yes, I'm just foolish enough to try to color it. This time with yellow FD&C and a copper mica. Of course, the colors just kind of get blotched in, then folded. Yes, the scent is worth it to me!!

That's 8 soaps in the last few weeks. EcuaMint, Sunflower, Cotton Blossom (swirled with TD & silver mica), Lavender Mint (swirled purple & green), Lily of the Wood (lavender + patchouli + lily of the valley, swirled blue & green), Citrus Linen (swirled yellow & orange), Cucumber Melon (swirled peach & lime green) and Lemongrass & Sage (swirled green & yellow).

bockbock ... if you're trying to get the lilac scent infused into the oils, you're going to have to have thousands of blossoms. Make sure when you infuse in the oil that the lilac flowers are slightly dry (i.e. you don't want them wet with dew) and that they are completely submerged in the oil otherwise you risk mold from the moisture & air. Slightly crush the flowers and pack them in tightly.

Hi all!

I've been making soap for a while, but just recently re-discovered the BYC forum. As I'm poking around, I saw a familiar face or two on this thread, so though I'd say hello!

Diane W

I'm not a floral person, so I don't have any that I have tried and liked. But check out the scent review board and fragrance finder. Both links should be in the reference thread

I'm not a floral person, so I don't have any that I have tried and liked.
Ha! You sound like me. The longer I soap, the more I hate florals. I did 2 yesterday, and actually had to take a break cleaning up after ducklings to get the fake plasticy smell out of my nose. One was Bergamot & Violet, which behaves at least. The other was Honeysuckle, which moved fast and got mashed-potatoey despite precautions. Both from Aromahaven.

I wish people didn't want to buy floral soaps....

Diane W

I hate lilac. I love the smell, hate the way it behaves in soap. Honeysuckle, on the other hand, I love the smell, and it soaped like a dream for me. I believe it was from Peak. No discolor, acceleration, etc.

Back
Top Bottom