Socializing baby chicks....

Chicky Joy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
:idunnoHow much attention should I be giving my baby chicks? I want them to be friendly. They aren't necessarily going to be pets but I want them to be as good natured as possible. My chicks are 6 days old, they are black sex links. Should I be doing anything in particular to socialize them? Should I leave them be? They aren't fond of being picked up...at least not yet. Or, will I have to wait for them to get much older and learn to associate me with the food/treats before they grow fond of me?

One of the things that I did with one of my chicks who was being pecked was bring the little bugger inside and put him in a little rabbit cage. He wasn't happy about being separated from his brothers and sisters and made a racket, but now he is more human socialized than any of the others.

I would just spend a little time with them each day (5 mins per bird) and they'll be more familiar and less afraid of you.

Thats my advice!

Ryan

gig.gif
I've been trying to give each of them some special attention but it's hard to tell them all apart unless I put them into seperate tubs or something. Half the time I think I end up picking up the same few chicks twice and miss picking up a few others. Oh boy!
smile.png

The sex-links are often more docile, more "friendly" than many other breeds. Since they're bred for egg production, it's a useful quality for them to have, to be compliant around their human caregivers.

The best thing is to give them every opportunity to associate you with Good Things. Give them kind & gentle care, handle them with TLC, don't make sudden moves or grab them too tight. Get them used to your presence, starting with just putting your hand in their box and leaving it there until they lose their panic.

As they get older you can start bringing them treats occasionally. It won't take them long to associate The Hand with Tasty Treats. Make up a call signal so they will learn to come when you make that sound.

They will be more likely to come when called if you DON'T give them a treat EVERY time. It's the same response that hooks gamblers, not knowing just when the payoff will come.

Enjoy your birds, I think the sex-links are wonderful hens & reliable layers.

Back
Top Bottom