A predator ravaged my hens. Help me rebuild my flock!

BackroadGirl57

KITT Still Rocks!
Mar 20, 2023
Northern Virginia
A raccoon got into my in house and slaughtered my hands. Once I beef up security I would like to rebuild my flock. My dream chickens are two Silver Laced Wyandottes, a Brahma, and a Welsummer. I want to get these chickens at about 8 weeks old so I can socialize them to me but are there any extra care measures that i should take for 8 week old chicks? And will they do well in Northern Virginia where I live?

I want to get these chickens at about 8 weeks old so I can socialize them to me but are there any extra care measures that i should take for 8 week old chicks?
As long as you don't get them in the very coldest part of the winter (snow, wind, ice), chicks of that age should be fine. They will need the same care as adult chickens.

And will they do well in Northern Virginia where I live?
Those breeds will probably do fine in that area. The Brahma might have some trouble with the heat in summer, but may not-- some people successfully keep Brahmas in much hotter areas than that. Plenty of shade and good ventilation are important for any kind of chicken in hot weather.

What should I feed them??
Chick starter.
Or Grower.
Or All Flock feed.
Or Flock Raiser feed.

Anything that has about 18% to 20% protein, about 1% calcium, and says it is a complete feed for some kind of chicken. (If your feed store doesn't have the "right" feed, start reading the nutrition labels on the feeds they do have. Most feed stores have something suitable, but it may have an unexpected name on it.)

Not layer feed (too much calcium, usually not enough protein.)
Not scratch grains (not enough protein, not balanced properly to be a complete feed.)

When they get close to laying age, put out a dish of oyster shell. That provides extra calcium for making eggshells.

After they are laying, they can stay on the same food, with the oyster shell available in a separate dish, for as long as you like. That is safe for them at all ages, through their entire lives. Or you can switch them to layer feed when they are all laying, if you want. Layer feed has about 3 times as much calcium as other chicken feeds (too much for any bird that is not actively laying.)

The breeds affect how friendly they naturally are. I primarily have Silver Laced Wyandotte's. They can be aloof no matter what age they are, but once you catch them, they are just but a big fluffy pillow and they love being petted. They will come up to you if you offer them something they really enjoy. I absolutely love them. With most critters, it's all about winning their trust no matter what age they are. They are considered a northern breed, which I agree with, but with misters, a nice fan, and iced water on super-hot and humid days, they did quite well. I live in northern Mississippi, and I didn't lose not one chicken with the heat wave.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom