Socializing Chicks

maxh122801

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2015
how should I get my four week old chicks to be less scared of me? should I pick them up even if they run in fear away from my hand? or should I not handle them as much?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Food is the way to chicks hearts!! I put some chick crumb in my hand and place my hand on the floor of the brooder. They are so curious they have to come and investigate. While doing this I talk gently to them so they get used to my voice. Eventually they hop into my hand even scratching and pecking at it. Doing it regular gets them used you.
Here is a great article on taming chicks https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-tame-chickens-from-the-start

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

thanks for advice! also another question what kind of treats are okay to feed to the chicks at this age?

At four weeks they should be ok to have a few meal worms although this can cause a bit of a frenzy I have found. I also give mine a bit of greens or boiled egg. I would try to give treats in moderation so that there main feed is still their chick food which is nutritionally right for their growth. At four weeks and with giving treats I would make sure they have some grit available too.

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Offering chicks treats often tames them. Daily handling also helps. Many chicks (at least in my experience) go through an obnoxious stage at about 4-6 weeks old, when they are somewhat flighty and even aggressive, so I wouldn't worry too much about your chicks' current temperaments--they will likely change a lot as they mature.

Good luck with your chicks! I hope they turn into gentle birds.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The way to a chicken's heart is through its stomach. There is a good article at http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...-run-away-whenever-they-see-me-Can-I-H57.aspx on how to tame chickens. This method has worked well for my family and I as we have made lap pets of many of our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Good luck in taming your chicks.

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us.

Do explore the article Michael Oshay gave you.

Try to let them come to you. Four weeks is old enough to give some limited treats - dried mealy worms - hold them in your still hand and they will come to you.

Back
Top Bottom