Soft and Odd Shaped Egg

Abigail1210

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2019
I have a two-year-old EE who normally lays pretty well until recently. A couple of weeks ago there was something the size of a marble inside a seemingly normal egg. I squeezed it and it looked like little beads came out. I looked into this issue and found that it was just a build-up of calcium. After that, her egg production slowed way down. The next egg I got was very soft, not totally "shelless." The one after this was even softer and odd-shaped. It reminded me of a lash egg because of the shape but it was a true egg with a yolk in it. I give them oyster shells in a separate dish from their pellets which they have access to at all times. This particular hen also just developed and impacted crop. Is this related to an impacted crop? I'm really worried about her egg-laying, especially the odd-shaped one. I attached (hopefully, I'm still pretty new to this lol).
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.08.29 PM.png

I would say that is a lash egg. She has an infection. That stuff in it is pus. I honestly don't know what can be done about it. :(
It felt like an egg and I threw it outside (away from my other chickens) but they found it and ate it.... I had a chicken who laid a lash egg and died a few months later. She died this past October.

This particular hen also just developed and impacted crop. Is this related to an impacted crop? I'm really worried about her egg-laying, especially the odd-shaped one. I attached (hopefully, I'm still pretty new to this lol).
Impacted crop can effect overall health of bird and thus would indeed also effect egg formation.
Picture posted is not a lash egg....unless there is a hunk of lash inside what is showing.

Salpingitis is an infection of the oviduct, and it is common for them to pass lash material internally into the abdomen, or for it to come outside. Lash material can be a combination of egg material, shell, pus, etc. lash eggs come in all shapes. Once lash material is seen, antibiotics may or many not help. The best one to use is Baytril (enrofloxacin) and it is banned for chickens. Some vets still prescribe it, but any eggs laid later should be tossed out for some time. Crop problems are often caused by the reproductive infection and swelling, putting pressure on digestive organs, causing a slowdown. Here is some good reading about salpingitis:
https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/salpingitis
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Impacted crop can effect overall health of bird and thus would indeed also effect egg formation.
Picture posted is not a lash egg....unless there is a hunk of lash inside what is showing.
The inside felt like a yolk and the outside like a shell. As I said earlier the chickens ate it and I mean went crazy for it. I kind of didn't think it was a lash egg because I got one from another chicken before and it seemed very different. Her crop was empty this morning, would that still be the cause of her weird egg laying?

Her crop was empty this morning, would that still be the cause of her weird egg laying?
So her crop is functioning well again?
How long was it impacted and what did you do to clear it?

Like I said before:
You'll just have to keep an eye on her.

So her crop is functioning well again?
How long was it impacted and what did you do to clear it?

Like I said before:

You'll just have to keep an eye on her.
I've been keeping an eye on her, her crop is normal by each morning. I haven't seen is full since that one day. I did not do anything to drain it because when I went in the coop with some coconut oil she was fine. Her egg laying has also gone back to normal. Is it possible she resolved this on her own?

Back
Top Bottom