Soft egg followed by lack of laying - HELP

BornToQuack

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Portland, Oregon
On Sunday morning, I found a soft egg (very thin/weak shell) in the duck house. The other two eggs were perfectly fine (we have three ducks).

Then, both yesterday and today, we've only had two eggs, so one girl has completely stopped laying. They seem to be in the very final stages of a molt, and have been laying consistently since mid-December. Could it be they're getting ready to take a break for awhile, or is something else going on?

They have daytime access to both store-bought and straight-from-the-ocean oyster shell, so I'd be surprised if this is a lack of calcium. However, we did recently switch them from "Mazuri Breeder" to "Mazuri Maintenance" feed, since the "Breeder" was out of stock and we're waiting for our special order to arrive. Could they be having issues with lack of protein?

They all seem a bit lethargic and cranky, but once again, I'm not sure if that's from the change in feed, warmer than usual days, or something else.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I think it's calcium. After they've been busy laying for awhile despite food, oyster shell and whatever else you are giving they sometimes need an extra boost. Get some Calcium Citrate with D3 if they have it or without. Crush up the tablets or if you get capsules sprinkle it over treats that you know they will eat right up. I cut up watermelon or tomatoes and put it on that. They eat it right up so you know that they are getting all of it.

My girls are getting laying burn out too so I've been doing it for a week or so. I've got some eggs that just have the membrane and NO shell! This extra calcium will help!

Back
Top Bottom