Soft egg shell

57birdlover

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2020
I have 4 hens and one was sick for a few days. Very inactive and not walking well. Very docile. I was put of town and my husband called and said he didnt think she was going to male it. After 2 days she was fine. Before this we had 1 hen that wasn't laying every day. I suspect it was her. Now this week we went 2 days without the 4th egg. Yesterdays egg shell was somewhat soft and had a chip so we threw it away. Today it was like a water balloon. None of them are acting sick.
Is this a lack of calcium, and if so why only one hen? What can I do to help her?

Is this a lack of calcium, and if so why only one hen? What can I do to help her?
How old are these birds...and how long have they been laying?
Some birds need more calcium....having a separate feeder with Oyster and crushed egg shell is always a good idea.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

We have 8 pullets, 26 weeks old now. We've had 6 eggs at most in 1 day. All eggs have been thick and hard up until this morning - when I went to let them out there were 2 eggs that had been layed next to each other by their hatch door (I'm assuming the same girl dropped these and must be backed up). None of mine have been acting poorly, but there is one that is a little smaller than the rest, and I'm wondering whether it is her. Like yours, they were kind of like water balloons, one was split, but it didn't look like any of them had attempted to eat it. Mine have been on layer feed since 19 weeks.

Attachments

• 2020-12-04-07-54-11.jpg
    2020-12-04-07-54-11.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 6
How old are these birds...and how long have they been laying?
Some birds need more calcium....having a separate feeder with Oyster and crushed egg shell is always a good idea.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
This is their first year laying. Got them in March

Soft shelled eggs could easily break inside your hen. If left this can cause infection, and EYP.

You will need to switch them to layer feed if you have not already. Of course, set out oyster shell as well.

Soft shelled eggs could easily break inside your hen. If left this can cause infection, and EYP.

You will need to switch them to layer feed if you have not already. Of course, set out oyster shell as well.
Thet eat layer feed. Oil went and got oyster shells today and put them in a container next to their feed

My leghorn laid only soft shelled and very delicate shelled eggs when I first got her and (unrelated or not?) she was lowest in the pecking order of 3 hens. She didn't lay regularly at all and I was getting worried about her. She started laying perfect eggs (and has done almost every day since) when I added 2 new hens to the flock. I suspect she just wasn't ready at the beginning and after settling in couple months down the line, was ready to lay properly.
Hope your lady gets in gear soon :)

Back
Top Bottom