Soft egg

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Joshischicken, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Joshischicken

Joshischicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    Hey i was just wondering if someone can help me out i went to close my hens up for the night and i looked in there nest box like i always do and there was 10 normal eggs plus one egg that was very soft and rubbery almost like and it broke when i picked it up what usually causes soft eggs like this please let me know

2. chickenboy

chickenboy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Woolwich,ME
    Usually what causes soft shelled egss is that they aren't getting enough calcium. Go to your feedstore and get them some oyster shells

3. xrayman

xrayman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Central IA
    I had a soft egg today too, It was from one of my new hens i got on sunday, I'm sure it from not enuff calcium.

4. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I had a soft egg 2 days in a row. I put out oyster shell and 2 days later all is normal again. The other eggs seem twice as hard however.....but they still break for us. I removed the oyster shell and just have grit down now. That has the oyster shell in it too to help it keep up I guess. Worked great in a short amount of time. [​IMG]

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Put some Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother (the stuff on the bottom, like Sangria) in their water and add the calcium. I use the Oystershell calcium for pet birds that I get at Petsmart. Give that free choice and it'll firm up them shells really quickly.
    And, BTW, you CAN eat rubber eggs. I have. You just have to eat them really quickly before they dry out. If you're squeamish scramble it up and give it to the birds as a treat.

6. CashmereSussex

CashmereSussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    every hen will lay these every once in a while. there is nothing to worry about, most of the time it is in younger chickens but even the best layers will lay them from time to time

7. simpsonfamily

simpsonfamily Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    hello we are having the same Problem with our chickens what is the rule for Apple Cider Vinegar in the water how much do we put into their water ??? how many mls per liter as we are from australia

8. andyb

andyb New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    Hi fellow Aussie,
    I occasionally put a capful of ACV in their 3 L water, and almost every day they get a capful spilled over two decent sized bowls of mash.

9. chicken guy

chicken guy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    my dad grew up around a chicken farm and he says put the egg shels in the oven or something till it is esay to break and to make sure to crush up evry pice of the shell the chickens are samrt and will figuar out that they can eat the eggs it sucks when they do

10. simpsonfamily

simpsonfamily Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    cool thankyou for your help guys :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by