Soft egg?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
Picture below is what I just found about a foot from the laying box. It was our EE pullet, who has been laying good blue eggs, with nice hard shells for about 6 or 7 days now. I think I've read that these can be normal, but wanted to ask anyway....what do you think?

102_5042.jpg

102_5045.jpg

Quote:
Layer pellets with free choice oyster shell, and about 8-10 hours a day free range. I can't imagine it would be any kind of deficiency that fast. Her previous eggs had some of the hardest shells I've ever experienced.

So, the day after the soft egg, she laid a normal egg. However, since then (today would be day 3), no egg at all. Is this behavior normal for new egg layers? She came out of the box running, laid 6 out of 7 days, then the soft one, then one normal, and now nothing for 3. I know it takes time to get their system going, but is the skipping of 3 or more days early on a typical thing?

Did anything change in their environment? My BR went through a similar laying pattern when she first started. I had been offering spinach and when I stopped she got back on track. Are you offering any type of treats?

Quote:
Yeah, but nothing that changed from the time she was laying. The occasional couple slices of bread split between all of them, leftover greens, but nothing adding up to much...

It's gotten warmer, but not to the level some people are dealing with, and they've got lots of shade and always cool fresh water.

Our EE went through a brief soft shell/no shell phase at about 8 months old or so. It's normal.

We have since added crushed egg shell to their feed for stronger shells; it does help.

my pullet has ben laying nice hard eggs in th nesting box! this morning i found one on th floor and it was soft? shouls i be concered? please help

my pullet has ben laying nice hard eggs in th nesting box! this morning i found one on th floor and it was soft? shouls i be concered? please help

Not unless it continues. Occasionally pullets(& hens) do things like that. A couple weeks ago I got a "fart" egg from my pullets. First in about 4 months.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom