soft egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mags5, Oct 25, 2012.

1. mags5

mags5 New Egg

Aug 5, 2012
    I have 13 laying hens. Six are 7 months old the rest are older. I get 1 egg that the shell is soft. Not sure if it is a young hen or something else. They are getting the proper food and grit. Any ideas?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Just one I wouldn't worry about, especially with young layers. Are they getting any calcium supplement, like oyster shell?

3. Only 1 egg? This there first egg, or have they layed ones before?
    Don't fret over it, its nothing. The hen simply laid the egg before the shell thickened up.

4. iron chicken

iron chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas
    this is normal for young hens and old hens.

5. Any hen any age can and will lay a soft egg.....

6. iron chicken

iron chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    That has happened to me three times on the most random days don't worry about it if it only happened once!
    [​IMG]

8. gibsterl

gibsterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I have four chickens that are just coming out of molt and have not been laying for several weeks, in the last week one of them a Barred Rock has laid 2 soft eggs while on the roost, they are getting layer pellets and have free choice of oyster shell, am wondering if it is more common for chickens coming out of molt to have soft shelled eggs? The hens are ~18 mos old.

9. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A hen coming out of molt may have to readjust the to laying again and have a few off eggs.

10. Actually, its more that the hen is depleted from calcium, thus lacking the hardness is shell.
    She would be skipping if it was that, HOWEVER, you are correct, just that is less of a cause of it, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by