soft eggs (no hard shell)

Sandra Verbreyt

Songster
Jul 12, 2017
Temse Belgium
My Silkie Margo is still laying soft eggs and then eating the contents :(
My two girls are very fussy eaters and if I give them feed with korels in they sort out the korrels and will not eat them. I have been feed ing food without the korrels and as they are free range I do not put grit in their feed.
Do I need to change the feed and also to start using grit?
Her eggs are like little plastic bags and empty because she ate the contents.
What shall I do to get hard eggs back and to stop her eating them?

how old are your hens?
I would recommend getting them calcium supplements, if you can in liquid form if available, if not can you get oyster shell where you live?

grit if they are free ranging they shouldn't need they get it naturally from the soil and pebbles they eat when free ranging

You can try crushing up Tums! You can also try crushing up egg shell for grit. All my chickens ignore oyster shell but will eat egg shell, so you might want to try both. Another thing to watch out for is just signs of illness-is the chicken keeping to herself, are her head and trail droopy, is she eating enough? Sometimes illness can also cause chickens to lay soft-shelled eggs.

I have been to my chicken expert farm and he has given me Oyster Shell and has told me to feed just the laying korrels mixed with the grit. The korrels contain all the vitamins that my girls need. However , they do not seem very happy with it but my chicken man says that if they are hungry they will eat it :/ im not so sure. Advice anybody????

Sounds like great advice to me. Optimum nutritional value, and an overall balanced diet are first, and foremost in keeping healthy chickens. All chickens will eat what they consider to be "chicken candy", trying to leave behind the things that don't appeal to them as much. Like your friend said, if they get hungry they will eat it.

Back
Top Bottom