Soft eggs

DuckDaddy01

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2016
Today when fetching my duck eggs, I found one with a very thin shell. Felt spongy. Felt like a film or membrane rather than a shell. Any reason what would cause this?

Sometimes when hens don't get enough protein/nutrients they can't make make the egg completely. I think that's right. Or the egg didn't form fast enough. Something like that. I know it I just don't know how to explain it. Anyone else have better wording?

A "shell-less egg" is what you are describing - the tough membrane is there, but no hard outer shell. The causes can vary - from a new layer who's system is not up and running, a bird who just had an off day with regards to their shell gland, a bird who is not quite healthy and is experiencing the beginnings of shut down of the repro-system, a bird who is lacking calcium in the diet, a bird that has insufficient vitamin D in the diet to allow proper absorption of the calcium, etc. As long as it is just an occasional "huh" sort of thing it's not really anything to be too concerned about -- if you start seeing it a pattern and regular occurrence that is when you look deeper to identify the cause and address it.

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on Ol Grey Mare's comments.

Back
Top Bottom