Soft eggs???

If it's a one time occurance and you are offering oyster shell, I wouldn't worry.
If you are not offering oyster shell, I would start to offer it.

Quote:
I don't think you need to be worried. They may need more calcium in their diet. Do you have oyster shell available? You can also add calcium with dairy foods like yogurt, cheese, or I like to sprinkle powdered milk on their treats. Some vegetables also have calcium.
Also sometimes chickens just lay soft shelled or shelless eggs, especially younger hens.
Are they dropping the eggs from the roosts onto the floor, or laying on the floor? Good Luck

Imp

Quote:
I don't think you need to be worried. They may need more calcium in their diet. Do you have oyster shell available? You can also add calcium with dairy foods like yogurt, cheese, or I like to sprinkle powdered milk on their treats. Some vegetables also have calcium.
Also sometimes chickens just lay soft shelled or shelless eggs, especially younger hens.
Are they dropping the eggs from the roosts onto the floor, or laying on the floor? Good Luck

Imp

I have a small tray of oyster shell that they have available all the time. It looks like they both dropped from the roost.

I'm guessing you have light in the coop, for them to lay at night. Or they are laying early in the am. I've never heard of chickens laying in the dark, but suppose that's possible.
So you need to lure them into nest boxes. You could try putting fake eggs or golf balls into the nests. You could try moving them into the nests in the dark, but that might lead to dirty nests. Or take away the roosts so they are forced to the floor. If they are young then I think I'd give them a few days with the fake eggs. Good luck

Imp

Back
Top Bottom