soft shell causes

black_fx_35

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I have 7 chickens, of which six are laying regularly. Of the six, one is laying eggs with a soft shell. I think it is my cuckoo maran, but not 100% sure. By soft shell, let me explain. It doesn't look soft, or feel soft when I hold it. Its just when I try to crack it open to cook it (with a knife for instance), and it doesn't quite crack cleanly. The shell and the inner thin layer (not sure what it is called), tend to stick together a bit, and egg shell gets in my egg! What could be causing this? Same diet for all chickens, but just one seems to be this way. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

I also have a cuckoo maran laying a very fragile shell. It just crumbles. Can't wash it if it has "stuff" on it, it will fall apart. But I know it is a cuckoo maran, because it is a much darker shell. Don't know what other hens you have, as far as egg color, but that could be a clue.
I don't know why that is, but I am hoping as the hen matures, the eggs get better. She is 10 months old, so maybe I am hoping in vain. I feed oyster shell and I am betting you know all the "usual" reasons. Sometimes, who knows?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom