Soft shell egg and watery poo... Should i worry?

Flowerpott

Songster
Aug 12, 2019
Kerrville texas
Hello! My hen just started laying a week ago. Shes a little bantam mutt.
Her eggs have been fine (pretty tiny but all around yummy) we've gotten about 4 ao far. One every other day.
I've noticed her poop has been super watery. Not always. But maybe 2 or 3 times a day. Like a lot of watery and barely any solid in it. One of them actually looked like egg whites once it kind of dried up.
But then her other poos are normal.
Today she was just walking around and bloop...a soft egg just plopped out. Usually she walks around making A LOT of noise and pacing back n forth to go inside (she was raised inside when she was smaller so she likes to come in sometimes still) for about 2 or 3 hours before she finally goes to her box and lays. This time none of that. Just plop!
So im wondering if this is something to be super worried about? Or just up her calcium intake a bit? Im not sure if the poop matters in this situation? I just figure since it all comes out of the vent! Haha

Attachments

• 20210514_174031.jpg
    20210514_174031.jpg
    776.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210514_173945.jpg
    20210514_173945.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 1
Not unusual to have a few softies when they first start laying,
and they can pop out anywhere.
Digestion can go thru some changes too.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Do you have other chickens too?

Is it hot where you live?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1621082168829.png

Not unusual to have a few softies when they first start laying,
and they can pop out anywhere.
Digestion can go thru some changes too.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Do you have other chickens too?

Is it hot where you live?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2670518

Thank you for the response!
I live in San Antonio TX. Its been hot but lately its been coop and rainy. She is my only chicken. I know i should have more. When i moved (were renters) I wasnt allowed to have my chickens i had 3 others but this one i have now was still a tiny chick and lived inside and wore diapers at the time. And i just couldn't rehome her. Now shes an indoor outdoor chicken who seems fairly happy.
I feed her egglands best a layer formula. I crush up her eggs and feed them back to her. I give lots of worms live and dried. She eats kitchen scraps but not many. She doesn't go nuts over tomatoes and things yet. But little shreds of cheese and small amounts of bread she eats. She drinks plenty of water thru the day i have a million waterers for her.

Hope it helps as I am new to banties so I've been researching them lots and it seems a breed that lays 6 eggs per week should be getting a layer feed designed to provide the calcium for 6 eggs.

Bantams don't lay as many eggs so a layer feed designed for battery farm chickens might be too much calcium. If you feed grit (which usually contains oyster shell) and are feeding all her egg shells back to her then she is suffering from too much calcium which will cause an imbalance and shell less eggs.

I would recommend you get a grower feed (1% calcium) along with your layer feed (4% calcium) IF your chicken is laying an egg every single day then you feed layer feed ever single day. If she only lays 3 eggs a week then make a 50/50 mix or she will be eating too much calcium which is bad for their health.

We have designed chickens to require a high daily calcium intake but at the same time if they are not laying a high calcium intake that is not being used is bad for their health.

This is why based on my research it is a good idea to have a grower feed on hand when they stop laying in winter and only feed a high calcium diet when they have been using up calcium by laying eggs

Would not have thought about too much calcium! Thats something to look into. So far shes laid 4 eggs and the softy making 5 since last week. Theyre every other day only yesterdays softy was two days in a row.
I will balance out her diet with grower and will probably get some oyster shells as well. I haven't set her up to eat them freely yet theyre mixed in with her scratch feed tho with other yummy chicken stuff.

When it starts getting hot, they tend to drink more water, thus runny poops for a little while, until it all gets sorted out. Many of us put out some oyster shell, as a free choice option for the hens, and that increases calcium when they need it. Don't put out a lot, since she won't need that much, and she won't always need it on a continued basis, but do keep a little for her to eat as she chooses.

Thank you for the response!
I live in San Antonio TX. Its been hot but lately its been coop and rainy. She is my only chicken. I know i should have more. When i moved (were renters) I wasnt allowed to have my chickens i had 3 others but this one i have now was still a tiny chick and lived inside and wore diapers at the time. And i just couldn't rehome her. Now shes an indoor outdoor chicken who seems fairly happy.
I feed her egglands best a layer formula. I crush up her eggs and feed them back to her. I give lots of worms live and dried. She eats kitchen scraps but not many. She doesn't go nuts over tomatoes and things yet. But little shreds of cheese and small amounts of bread she eats. She drinks plenty of water thru the day i have a million waterers for her.
I would cut out all foods but the layer feed...see if her poops firm up.

Back
Top Bottom