Soft shell egg

mariesterful

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 20, 2017
Monore, Washington
My Wyandotte chicken who is about 8 years old now has been laying soft shell eggs once in awhile and she has access to oyster shell. Is she sick? Concerned mom here.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 20
My Wyandotte chicken who is about 8 years old now has been laying soft shell eggs once in awhile and she has access to oyster shell. Is she sick? Concerned mom here.
She probably have Calcium deficiency. Good job with the oyster shells👍 I would recommend feeding her any egg you have. Good luck!

She is 8 years old, not uncommon for egg quality to decrease. If she has layer feed and oyster shell, I don’t think Ca deficiency is what it is, but rather old age.
x2. Older hens often have problematic eggs. You can try supplementing calcium on a schedule to see if that improves shell quality enough that she doesn't struggle to get the egg out, for my older layers I find like 2-3x a week while they're actively laying is enough for that purpose, as they do seem to benefit from more calcium than normal to maintain some quality of egg shell.

This will happen to older hens or hens who lay multiple eggs a day. It’s not always a calcium deficiency. I have a 3 year old who has laid a couple a year for the past 2 years while the rest of her egg shells are thick and covered in deposits. As long as they have access to a calcium supplement (oyster shells or egg shells being the most common) she is fine ♥️

Back
Top Bottom