soft shell eggs / bird eating her eggs

nola55

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
I have 3 backyard hens, one has been laying soft shell, sometimes almost no shell eggs. was told to feed more calcium so brought 2 layer pellets that was recommended, I give them shell grit and some fresh vegetables also a poultry mix. the problem is now she is laying 2 eggs a day and eating them. don't know what else to do....

This link talks about causes of this problem. Chickens will readily eat a broken egg, and of course it's very easy for a soft shelled egg to get broken accidentally. It does sound like she has a defect of some sort in her reproductive system. Here is a University paper on egg problems, as well.

It is possible that the added foods, the fresh vegetables and poultry mix, are reducing their calcium intake by diluting the nutrients in their feed. Do they get lots of sun exposure? They need the vitamin D they make in sunlight to absorb the calcium. I would probably add some more calcium to see if it helps. You can put a Tums tablet in their water once or twice a week, or give them some yogurt every day. Or, do a search and find a more precise calcium dose; I'm not having any luck with that at the moment, sorry.

I had the same problem when our Barred Rock hen. We used oyster shells which make the shells harder or at least supposed to. We also put fake eggs or golf balls under her when she laid so if she tried to peck them she began to learn it won't crack. But by doing that you have to collect all eggs often making sure only the fake ones are left. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom