Soft shell eggs elderly hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dowie, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    We have a chook we THINK is elderly - we were given her by an animal shelter after they'd raided a chicken hoarder's house (the lady had 50 chooks in one small backyard).

So, we don't know her age exactly, but she seems old. At the start she laid us some eggs, but now they are either soft shelled, or totally deformed. It's the deformed ones (elongated and lumpy) that worry me. Is this normal for an elderly hen, or may she have an infection? She seems very healthy otherwise. Thanks!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Older birds are more likely to lay weird or misshapen eggs, but they can have various causes besides age. Is she the only bird you have? If she (and your other birds) seems otherwise normal & healthy I would tend to think it is something particular to her and could be a function of her age. The Poultry Site has a couple of pages on various kinds of misshapen eggs and possible causes.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/20/bodychecked-eggs

3. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Wow, that is one impressive site! Thanks so much. We have quite a few hens, and they are all fine, so I'm hoping it's just because she is old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by