Soft Shell Question

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
Ok so I know that new layers sometimes lay soft eggs when they are getting up to speed, but here is my question.

I have 6 girls, 3 are laying. From the start they layed eggs with shells, never a soft or squishy egg. When the first started, I changed them over to layer pellets and added an oyster shell feeder. In addition, they get a treat of cottage cheese with crushed layer pellet mixed in every evening when they go out to free range (an hour before bed every night). So I thought that as the others started laying there would be enough calcium in their systems to avoid soft eggs. It was all going well since as 2 and 3 started shells were great.

When I went out this morning, I found a soft shell egg in the grass that must have been layed while they were out last night. So strange cause I sit out there with them and this egg was not 10 feet from my chair. Since I got 3 regular eggs yesterday this means I have a new layer (this would be #4) that is laying soft eggs.

Can a pullet with plenty of calcium in her system still lay soft shell eggs????

I can't actually answer your question but will subscribe to this thread to see what others say. I have a mixed age flock, 2 and 1 yr old hens and then some pullets that just turned 18wks old. I have only gotten a soft egg occassionally over the years, but recently I started finding some under the roost in the morning. Finally figured out it was one of my 2yr old hens - a Black Sexlink. Because of the young bunch, I had switched to grower developer until they were old enough for the layer feed, but still offered plenty of oyster shell and yogurt so I don't know why this one started with the softies. She got one stuck in her which I finally got out, then she laid another soft one. I've switched back to layer now and hope she starts laying hard eggs again.

I have been finding soft egg under the roost about every other morning. They have been on layer feed for over a month with access to oyster shell. None are sick. The one this morning I found egg white on the roost, so she laid it on the roost! And it smashed open. I'm going to try feeding more yogurt and see if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom