Soft shell- TRIPLE yolk?!

findthejoys

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2022
I have a young girl, 20-ish weeks. She's been laying for a couple of weeks now. She's an aquila, she's given us a couple double yolk eggs. Last night at almost dark my husband went out to the run and watched her lay this:
1657547787267.png

She has access to oyster shell, and organic layer feed. What else can I do?

New layers can lay all sorts of weird eggs.

Since she does have access to oyster shell, I would start by waiting to see what happens next. This might be a one-time glitch that fixes itself.

If she lays softshell eggs repeatedly, she might not be eating enough calcium, even though it is available. There are various tricks to get a pullet or hen to take in more calcium (like giving her a human calcium pill, or mixing powdered oyster shell into some "treat" like wet chicken food.)

New layers can lay all sorts of weird eggs.

Since she does have access to oyster shell, I would start by waiting to see what happens next. This might be a one-time glitch that fixes itself.

If she lays softshell eggs repeatedly, she might not be eating enough calcium, even though it is available. There are various tricks to get a pullet or hen to take in more calcium (like giving her a human calcium pill, or mixing powdered oyster shell into some "treat" like wet chicken food.)
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom