soft-shelled duck eggs

If a bird always lays soft shelled eggs in spite of a proper diet (not just occasionally, but every egg), they have a defective reproductive system and I would cull them.

If she is some sort of pet and you have no plans to breed her, then the soft shelled eggs aren't hurting her and you can keep her. Just never try to hatch any of the eggs. You don't want to produce more birds that always lay soft shelled eggs.

I wouldn't worry about it with a young bird in her first month or so of laying.

Most of the time, oyster shell or other source of calcium helps.

However, sometimes that doesn't seem to work. Has anyone had success helping a duck that lays soft shelled eggs in spite of being feed layer feed with free choice oyster shell and regular treats that include dandelions and kale?

Are there other solutions?
Kale and spinach might be OK if fed in small amounts, but they both contain oxalates that inhibit calcium absorption.

I don't have the name of it but I got it at the Pet Food Warehouse which is a pet store. It was a container about the size of a bullion container and I paid a little over 5 dollars for it. When I went to the Pet Store I asked the clerk for a calcium supplement for birds and that is what she gave me.

Thanks Suellen.

I called around and was able to find calcium gluconate in my town. The vet supply guy said it's for cattle and comes in a 500 cc bottle. Is this the right stuff that you use @Amiga? I want to make sure it isn't harmful or anything before I buy it.

Background: my two ducks that are of laying age seem to be having problems. For 1 week, I was getting a beautiful egg every day (I got 2 one day, and it dropped back to 1 egg after that). The eggs stopped for 2 or so days, then I found 2 soft shelled eggs in the yard a few days ago. And again, none since then. I offer free-choice oyster shell, but either they're not eating it or it isn't working.

I gave them plain yogurt the first time they stopped, which might have helped them pass the soft eggs. I'm not keen on giving them dairy frequently, so I figure calcium gluconate would be my best option. They love wet feed, so it should be easy to make sure they are eating it. Just want to make sure it's the right stuff first.

Edit - I wanted to add that one of the soft-shelled eggs was powdery (and HUGE), like it would actually rub off on my hands. The other softy was laid in the pool so I don't know if it was powdery. Is this normal for soft-shelled eggs?

Last edited:
Hello Again, I found the original bottle of the stuff I use for the birds. Its called Avian Calcium. I paid 4.99 for 3 ozs. I took some pics of the bottle for you with the ingredients.
In case you cant read it, which is quite possible, The main ingredient is precipitated calcium carbonate. Have you researched your food to make sure it has the right protein calcium levels? I don't think you should give something for cows to a duck. :0)

A good egg layer brand should provide you what you need. I have oyster shells out and I don't really see my females doing anything with it. First I had it in a bowl in their house and then I poured some of it over the ground near their treat bowl where they dig around. HOping they might eat some there. I don't think they are touching it. I use a little spray bottle, put the powder in it with a little water and spray it on the kibble and hand feed the females. The original duck food I used for about 8 months "floating pond pellets from Mazuri". Did not meet the nutritional needs of my egg layers. I since changed my kibble to Egg Layer Pellets. It has plenty of protein and calcium in it and they eat it. The ducks seem to like the pellets better than just the regular chicken scratch. The kibble I feed my chickens is the same thing but it does not come in pellet form it is more of a powder.

Also, and I cant stress this enough, check your ducks bottoms. You can Google Rectal Prolapse, trust me it is not pretty. If you see something sticking out of it, its a bad sign. Its kind of like a huge hemorrhoid when it first starts or that's what the google pics looked like. When I found mine in the morning it had a 5 inch bloody mass hanging out with something that looked like a golf ball at the end. I knew right off the bat she was not going to make it but I tried soaking her in warm water and applying honey on the mass. HOney is like an antibiotic and on a smaller prolapse I guess there is a chance you can reduce the swelling and push it back in the duck. I wish I had taken a pic of my duck with her condition however, it really is an image I could have lived a whole lifetime without seeing and I didn't really want to ever see it again. I talked to a few vets who also said that if it is not severe, you can use preparation H on it to try to reduce the swelling to push it back in. Hopefully you will not experience any of this as you will have a heads up to look for the signs. Laying soft shell eggs is not a good sign. Recently I was only finding one egg from my two ducks. I was very afraid I was having a problem. I soon discovered one of them was trying to make a nest and I found the missing eggs so all is good. Look around the yard and in your bushes for missing eggs, sometimes they will try to hide them from you.

Thanks for all the info suellen! It's really helpful. I'm going to see what other people have to say about the calcium gluconate, I see it recommended a lot on the duck and chicken forum and hear about folks using it on their poultry. But, you're right, if it's intended for cattle, I've got to be cautious.

I definitely keep a close eye on my ducks' butts
big_smile.png
More recently because I've been watching for egg yolk and white in case an egg breaks inside. I'll watch for prolapse, too. Butt watching is a good practice in general because I think aside from off behavior, an untidy butt or unusual poo is an important sign of illness.

Last edited:
Yes very true about watching their butts. Birds have a self defense mechanism in that when they are ill they don't usually show signs of it until 24 before their death. This is to help prevent predators from knowing that they are the weaker ones to be picked off. Great for them, not so great for us in trying to figure out if there is a problem. One thing I will say is my ducks always come to me at night to be put to bed. On the night that Frankie had her prolapse when I called them, she didn't come. I had to coax her out from under a bush to go to bed. I thought it was strange and in lieu of her laying soft shell eggs something I should have really taken note of. It was a sign I missed. I am still heartbroken that I didn't know enough about my babies to save her in time. When I think back at the signs that were there, had I been more educated on their well being and know what I know now she may have had a chance. I am so thankful for this forum as at least this is a "heads up" place to get some answers if I do see any signs that are out of the norm. Good luck with your girls :0)

Back
Top Bottom