soft-shelled duck eggs

This thread has been so helpful! My Cayuga just started laying and all three of her first eggs were jelly eggs. My Indian Runner started laying first, and she has absolutely no problems with her eggs. I have been feeding them extra spinach everyday because I feel bad that they can't free range like the chickens (they go and poop in the pool). Well, DUH! I forgot about the oxalates in spinach. I will have to vary their treats from now on and give them oyster shells on tap as well. Cheers!

Just curious if anyone has had a duck who started laying soft shelled eggs go back to normal?
I have a white peking who the vet thinks has a uterine infection. She has been on antibiotics for a month now and still has trouble with laying. I have increased shell grit for calcium and she has a fairly good diet of fruit, vegetables, layer pellets and lettuce.
Someone suggested hormone implant which only lasts a few months. But id like her to be healthy again

Just curious if anyone has had a duck who started laying soft shelled eggs go back to normal?
I have a white peking who the vet thinks has a uterine infection. She has been on antibiotics for a month now and still has trouble with laying. I have increased shell grit for calcium and she has a fairly good diet of fruit, vegetables, layer pellets and lettuce.
Someone suggested hormone implant which only lasts a few months. But id like her to be healthy again

Yes, several,times I have had ducks lay soft shells and then regular. I give them about 200 mg of calcium citrate, crushed pills sprinkled on thawed peas as a treat. I add about 100 mg per duck to the food, also, when it seems needed. I also add a half a teaspoon or so of turmeric per bowl of food to prevent inflammation. The bowl holds three or four cups. Remember, turmeric stains.

I also read today that too much light and treats can cause soft eggs. Cabbage, Kale, etc. should be given as treats. I use a heat lamp at night. Does anyone else and could this cause my soft eggs. They get so much oyster shells that at times their poop is white.

I also read today that too much light and treats can cause soft eggs. Cabbage, Kale, etc. should be given as treats. I use a heat lamp at night. Does anyone else and could this cause my soft eggs. They get so much oyster shells that at times their poop is white.

Could you start your own thread, and provide info on what the ducks are being fed, how old they are, how long they have been laying soft-shelled eggs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom