Soft shelled egg? Cysts? Crop issues? Gosh, I don’t even know. I need help!!!

That could be a hormone imbalance. I have never seen it in my hens, but it can be common if there is no rooster. Can you post any pictures of her whole body from the side?
That’s what I thought.
Like, a recent one? Or just any?

image.jpg

Okay...update.
The hen has stopped laying and started crowing.

She crowed twice yesterday. Hasn’t laid an egg since I posted this.
Is her crop emptying overnight?

I had a hen that began crowing, she laid eggs intermittently, but some were soft shelled. I did notice she seemed to crow more when her crop was slow to empty - not sure why but found it interesting. She lived about a year or so after she started crowing. She did develop a very full abdomen as well. When she died I performed a necropsy and saw what I think was cancer of the reproductive system so I just made the assumption the crowing could have been related to hormone imbalance from that.
Not saying your hen has cancer - but possible some type of hormone imbalance is causing the crowing.

Is her crop emptying overnight?

I had a hen that began crowing, she laid eggs intermittently, but some were soft shelled. I did notice she seemed to crow more when her crop was slow to empty - not sure why but found it interesting. She lived about a year or so after she started crowing. She did develop a very full abdomen as well. When she died I performed a necropsy and saw what I think was cancer of the reproductive system so I just made the assumption the crowing could have been related to hormone imbalance from that.
Not saying your hen has cancer - but possible some type of hormone imbalance is causing the crowing.
Yeah, that seems to be the theory. I wonder, is this imbalance temporary?

Back
Top Bottom