Soft shelled egg? Cysts? Crop issues? Gosh, I don’t even know. I need help!!!

TheOddOneOut

🌧️🌧️🌧️
Feb 15, 2020
OR
We have a flock of six hens, all just hit a year old. Two EEs, one SS, one BO, and two Doms. They are all very healthy and have a whole green yard to roam. Their food is good and we never have shell issues that are calcium related. They get supplemental oyster shell, too.
Only a few times have we had egg problems.
We’ve had one double yolk, one wrinkled egg, a good few with cracked bands around the middle, and a few soft shells.
This morning, out of the blue, there’s a soft shell. The other two soft shells were from one of my EEs, and those were almost definitely stress related. This one has a pale brown hue, so it was one of my brown layers.
This soft shell was not normal, though. It had (what I belive to be) a cyst in it.
3CB7315F-9B47-428E-82F8-0631EC42370E.jpeg

Definitely not an embryo or something crazy, before someone suggest that. :rolleyes:
Now I’m terrified. Is something wrong with one of my birds? Will this keep happening? We sell eggs...is someone going to open one up and find....THAT????
I don’t even know which bird it is.
I’ve got a hen who seemed to have crop issues for a while. Pendulous crop or the like. She had a bra, she had treatments...never fully cleared up, but she’s a lot better and acts like it.
I only mention her because, like, what if it’s a disease...?
I don’t know. Experts, help??? I dearly love every single one of my birds and couldn’t bear it if something happened, ever.
And yes, vet is an option, but they’re all dum dums. Well, there’s one good one. But most are dummies.

Last edited:
Can anyone help??
I believe the layer was one of my Dom girls. Not the crop issues one, but the one with a flawless medical history.

It can be hard to pinpoint a cause of shell-less eggs or what you found inside the one egg. If calcium or vitamin D is not a problem with other hens, then she might have a problem with her shell gland in the oviduct, or other reproductive problem. I dealt with infectious bronchitis in my flock years ago, and it caused a lot of egg abnormalities. Another great layer was hurt by a dog, stopped laying for several months, and only laid shell-less or thin shelled eggs from then on. Here is a good article about common egg problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Back
Top Bottom