Soft shelled eggs daily

Thread 'Treating Tapeworms - Under Construction' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Personally, I stay away from DE. Some people swear by it but science doesn't back it. It's dangerous for anything with lungs, including humans. You'll find some good information in the thread ^^^ I've shared a link to. Please let us know if her shell problems persist after getting rid of the tapes. I'll tag one of our resident parasite experts (among many other topics of course) @dawg53

I wish you the very best with your hen. It's nerve wracking when you've got a hen that's laying shelless or soft shelled eggs. I have one that had this problem for a while. I tried so many things with her but still had to keep up with treatments until she started molting. Since she resumed laying, her shells have been gorgeous. Sometimes I wonder if they need a "system reboot" (I'm kidding about the wording) which a molt or like mentioned above, an implant will do.
Yeah I have heard that DE can be dangerous, but my hens haven't had an issue yet. I just got over poultry lice(last month was rough. It felt like one illness after the other), and I used DE and powdered every chicken for weeks. They never seemed to have a problem with it.

I will check out the thread that you linked, as I could use some more ways to treat worms.

Other than the fact of a soft shelled egg, she is completely healthy. So I think she will pull through. I'm just gonna up her calcium levels and hope for the best. Also, I agree that hens need a reboot. I bet they get so exhausted laying eggs all the time. Sadly I don't think she will molt till winter, which is a long time from now! Hoping for the best, I truly appreciate all the responses! 😁♥️

A friend of mine is having the same issue rn. A soft shelled egg basically everyday. But they don't know who it is.

My birds do have some sort of worm. I have been trying to get rid of it for the past month, and it seems like it has gone down. I first noticed little yellow larvae in their poop. After doing some research, I think they have a tapeworm... But I'm not positive. I have been giving them DE in their food, and garlic in their water. And like I said, it has gone down. But I think they still kinda have it. But I don't think the natural alternative is working that well. So, I might just have to buy a dewormer. Thanks for your reply! 😁
Have a fecal float run before you assume tapeworm! Any vet can co this and it's pretty cheap. Use the right dewormer in the right dosage for the job or you may be chasing this problem forever.

Back
Top Bottom