Soft shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RoodyRodchester, Nov 23, 2015.

1. RoodyRodchester

RoodyRodchester Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Arkansas
    One of my chickens continues to lay soft shelled eggs every 2 days. I purchased some oyster shell because I thought she needed the calcium but here we are a week and a half in and she is still laying them. Could there be another problem? Or should I give the oyster shell longer to work?

2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    Is she a new layer or established layer? New layers sometimes lay a few soft shelled eggs.

Oyster shells should be available in a separate dish so they can take what they need when they want/need it. They should have that available everyday.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  3. RoodyRodchester

Nov 16, 2015
    Arkansas
    She's an established layer. I do have the shell in another bowl right by her feed. She also free ranges around the yard. She laid one about 2 months ago but went back to regular eggs. Now every egg she lays is soft.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How old is she?

5. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    What does she eat/what kind of feed?

6. RoodyRodchester

Nov 16, 2015
    Arkansas
    I inherited her from my mother in law so I'm not exactly sure on the age but I know she's at least 4 years.

7. RoodyRodchester

Nov 16, 2015
    Arkansas

Country lane 16% all flock

8. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    It might be because she is 4. But here is a link to the BYC Learning Center on common egg problems

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Particularly under Soft Shelled Eggs is written

"15. Soft shell eggs
    These eggs are laid with an incomplete shell, sometimes just a thin layer of calcium. Causes are similar to shell less eggs:

- Immature shell gland;

- Nutritional deficiencies, usually lack of calcium, vitamins E, B12 and D as well as phosphorous and selenium;

- Disease such as infectious bronchitis, avian influenza, egg drop syndrome; an internal or external parasite infestation;

- Exposure to very high temperatures and/or very high or low humidity levels;

- Egg laid prematurely due to stress or a disturbance during the calcification process;

- Egg laying while molting."

9. RoodyRodchester

Nov 16, 2015
    Arkansas
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by