Soft Shelled eggs

Clareb

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Wisconsin
One of our hens that just started laying in the last couple of weeks is laying shells that have very thin shells. We have ground oyster shells available separately to the entire flock. Any suggestions on what else to do? I have found 4 of these eggs so far, not sure if they are all from the same hen, but I am suspecting they are...

One of our hens that just started laying in the last couple of weeks is laying shells that have very thin shells. We have ground oyster shells available separately to the entire flock. Any suggestions on what else to do? I have found 4 of these eggs so far, not sure if they are all from the same hen, but I am suspecting they are...
welcome-byc.gif
There's the possibility she's just not getting enough calcium, but also the possibility that she's just working out the kinks being a new layer and all. I've had a few hens that would lay soft eggs for about the first 2 weeks of lay or so then eventually they hardened up. It wasn't every single egg either, it was more like every 3rd egg or so. Layer feed helps a lot but can be harmful to roosters due to the high calcium.

Last edited:
My hens started laying two weeks ago . We got a couple soft shells at first & one tiny egg. Now normal size hard eggs.

Back
Top Bottom