Soft Shelled Stuck - Now Lethargic

Oh gosh! Sorry 🤦‍♀️. I mixed this thread up with a different one where someone was dealing with flystrike. I thought "oh no! Not a lash egg on top of it!!"

Upon looking more closely, you're right, it doesn't look like other lash eggs I've seen either (which are more "waxy" and firm). Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in on what else it might be. It's definitely weird.

Glad she doesn't have any other buggers!
I think it is :( you were right to cute it open. It’s all rubbery

Attachments

• IMG_5954.jpeg
    IMG_5954.jpeg
    777.5 KB · Views: 3
I think it is :( you were right to cute it open. It’s all rubbery
Oh darn! Poor gal and poor Chicken Mama! That's just really difficult to deal with. So sorry you're having a rough go with this hen. It's hard when you love 'em so much! ☹️

Maybe the extra calcium you gave caused her to expel the gunk. Is she acting pretty normal still?

** Update: she was standing and eating this morning!**

Hi! I have a 1 year and 3 month old Lavender Orpington named Priscilla.

Yesterday she had a soft shelled white membrane hanging from her vent. Soaked her in warm Epsom and it came right out. She was free ranging with her sisters, but seemed a little “off.”

Last night she went up to roost but then around 9pm we had to open the coop so she could go in the nest box where she stayed all night and morning.

I have her in the garage now in a comfortable area. She’s drinking a little. Not eating. Lethargic.

Crop is squishy, like a water balloon. Poop is pictured below. Comb is dark red, slightly purple at tip.

Currently prescribing:
Lots of love
Tums
Nutri-drench

Anything else I can do? Thank you!
Update: laid this today.

Attachments

• 71338804439__5B62B89F-54CA-4C6C-B521-708F0E07B2E3.jpeg
    71338804439__5B62B89F-54CA-4C6C-B521-708F0E07B2E3.jpeg
    640.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5954.jpeg
    IMG_5954.jpeg
    777.5 KB · Views: 2
Thank you! You have been so kind. It’s so hard being chicken mamas?! Why are the so stinking loveable????
It is so hard sometimes, but also so rewarding! Unfortunately, we have to take the not so great stuff that comes along with the really wonderful stuff. ❤️‍🩹

Last edited:
Start her on the amoxicillin now if you haven't already. That looks like salpingitis material which is pus, indicating infection. But there's a chance you're seeing early stage, and there's hope of curing it if it is early. On the other hand, be prepared for the antibiotic not to work in case this has been going on for a while.

It also appears that some of that material with the lash is membrane from her recent egg issues. In case it is, it's a good idea to continue the calcium citrate for several more days to be sure all of it has been expelled.

I'd guess she has a 50/50 chance of surviving this with treatment. Don't give her up for dead yet.

Start her on the amoxicillin now if you haven't already. That looks like salpingitis material which is pus, indicating infection. But there's a chance you're seeing early stage, and there's hope of curing it if it is early. On the other hand, be prepared for the antibiotic not to work in case this has been going on for a while.

It also appears that some of that material with the lash is membrane from her recent egg issues. In case it is, it's a good idea to continue the calcium citrate for several more days to be sure all of it has been expelled.

I'd guess she has a 50/50 chance of surviving this with treatment. Don't give her up for dead yet.
Thank you! Come on, Priscilla!!

Hi @azygous! You were so helpful with Priscilla. Happy to report she made it! I honestly have no idea how. I must have gotten the antibiotics in?? But we were about to cull her. Thank god we didn’t! She’s running around with her sisters. Eating (a little) and drinking. I’m honestly shocked. So thank you!!

Problem is now - I just had another lavender, Priscilla’s sister, Janice with an egg broken in her!!!

Much better than her I cleaned her. Got it all out. Coconut oil. Vetericyn on the vent and got some antibiotics in her as well as calcium.

What the heck is happening?? Is this just common or do we have a deeper issue? Maybe not enough calcium since they were on all flock with the younger pullets? But now everyone has been on layer for weeks.m as the pullets are laying. I’m stumped!

Thank you!!

It's wonderful she pulled through. Successful endings help mitigate the disappointing ones.

So many things ca affect egg quality - stress, excessive heat, diet, undiagnosed avian virus, etc. Until you have been observing the flock long enough to notice a pattern, treat each one individually with 600mg calcium plus D3 for several days, extra sunlight. Avoid feeding spinach and similar greens which can leech calcium.

Continue the antibiotic for ten days for the recent one that had the collapsed egg inside.

It's wonderful she pulled through. Successful endings help mitigate the disappointing ones.

So many things ca affect egg quality - stress, excessive heat, diet, undiagnosed avian virus, etc. Until you have been observing the flock long enough to notice a pattern, treat each one individually with 600mg calcium plus D3 for several days, extra sunlight. Avoid feeding spinach and similar greens which can leech calcium.

Continue the antibiotic for ten days for the recent one that had the collapsed egg inside.
Thank you so much again! You have been so wonderfully helpful and I appreciate it. I’ll keep them on the Calcium!

Back
Top Bottom