Soft-shelled with tube, yolk outdide the egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cheeken, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Cheeken

Cheeken New Egg

Oct 19, 2014
    Hi. I am new to the forum. Gained 3 laying hens from a friend that are roughly 1.5 yrs old. These gals are black sex link chickens, and very sweet and friendly.

One of the hens always lays abnormally large eggs, sometimes with double yolk, and sometimes daily, then for a week straight may be every other day. . .

For the last 7 days she has layed 0. Today I found the 'egg' in the picture at the bottom of a small tub of water (a shallow pool, not their drinking water). This is strange to me as all 3 hens use the same nest for laying normally and I am certain she had to have intentionally laid this egg while sitting in the water. . .

The other two hens have very normal, consistent eggs. None of tge hens are laying every day now, and all have started a slight molt.

I feed them Nature Wise layer mash
    16% Protein crumble plus an egg laying additive mix at 2lbs into a 50lb bag of mash. They get 1cup of scratch as a treat to share every othrr day plus lettice and are free range, eating bugs and wild grasses.

Any ideas? I am worried about my girl that it's a health problem. . . Thank you for any help!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    Do you have a picture of the egg? Sometimes chickens lay eggs that are abnormal, as long as the shell is intaket it is good eats.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can't post a pic here until you have made 10 posts(I think).
    Soft shell eggs can just kind of 'fall out' and land anywhere, not too unusual.
    Sex link hens often produce very well for a couple years, then eggs can drastically decrease in number and quality.

Your problem(s) could be shortening days, molting, feed, stress of a new place(not sure how long you've had them or if you have any other birds) or lack of space(crowding)..or a number of other stresses.

Your feed description is confusing to me.
    -Nature Wise layer mash
    -16% Protein crumble
    -plus an egg laying additive mix at 2lbs into a 50lb bag of mash

Is the additive added to the Nature Wise layer mash?
    What is the additive exactly?

I like to feed an 'all flock' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat and have calcium available at all times for the layers, oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

4. Cheeken

Cheeken New Egg

Oct 19, 2014
    Yes! Thanks for letting me know. . . I have tried dozens of tomes to get the picture uploaded. I appreciate your response. The food additive is calcium and protein. I think (based on my other hens output) the conditions are good. . . Maybe this hen just has a strange system? She lays only half as much as the other two and her eggs are always larger and either perfectly round or just odd shaped.
    I will continue to read the forum for more answers. ツ
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by