No idea if this is coincidence, but I started feeding one meal a day of layer feed, using scratch and peck and fermenting it, which they go crazy for. So far Susan has had 3 eggs with hard shells in the last week, so I'm crossing my fingers that this is the cure.
Thank you for this information! I really appreciate it. I'll be ordering some S&P layer feed today! It's definitely worth a try ❤️

I, too, have soft shell issues. I feed organic layer with supplemental fresh vegs or fruits as available. They get to free range several hours a day. This flock has eaten oyster shell like candy. More than previous flocks. ( and it’s hard to find flaked shell). I’ve had more bumble foot in the last 2 years than in 15 years of ducks. I’ve tried changing food with no improvement in shells. Now I get maybe a soft shell in the evening from one of five hens and none from others. They always lay in the morning so it’s another thing that is off. No one I’ve contacted has suggestions that have helped. Niacin was mentioned but it’s already in their ration. They had no issues last year. My previous flock laid consistently for 6 years- until predators got them. They are Golden 300s as were my last flock.

Last edited:
I, too, have soft shell issues. I feed organic layer with supplemental fresh vegs or fruits as available. They get to free range several hours a day. This flock has eaten oyster shell like candy. More than previous flocks. ( and it’s hard to find flaked shell). I’ve had more bumble foot in the last 2 years than in 15 years of ducks. I’ve tried changing food with no improvement in shells. Now I get maybe a soft shell in the evening from one of five hens and none from others. They always lay in the morning so it’s another thing that is off. No one I’ve contacted has suggestions that have helped. Niacin was mentioned but it’s already in their ration. They had no issues last year. My previous flock laid consistently for 6 years- until predators got them. They are Golden 300s as were my last flock.
It's so frustrating. I spoke too soon and we had a soft shell last night. I think she is laying too soon, as there was an egg in her box this morning and then I watched her lay this while foraging in the evening. I'm going to keep up with the layer feed, though, since 3/4 eggs with hard shells seems like an improvement.

Try Calcium Gluconate it not only helps with egg binding but also with soft shell.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/calcium-gluconate-for-egg-bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/
or try calcium citrate @DuckyDonna uses it over the oyster shell she gives her ducks.
If the girls are having soft shell issues I smash the calcium citrate pills up with a hammer and sprinkle them over the food in their bucket. That seems to work really well. I currently have my boys and girls separate though and I wouldn't advise giving it to the boys because I'm not sure what effect it would have on them.

I don't think you can overdose them when they are laying. I usually stop when I see at least 2 solid egg shells. Plus the oyster shell is always out for them. When they lay for long periods their body gets depleted of calcium. So it would be hard for me to believe we can give them too much.

Back
Top Bottom