1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft shells with older chickens about 1-2 years old

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Phillychicken, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Phillychicken

Phillychicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Question now some of our chickens are laying soft eggs.
    We give them plenty of oyster shell etc. Any suggestions thanks. This has been for 1 week or so.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They may be starting to shut down for the season. As they start to begin molting, shell less eggs can happen.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oops.... Edit.... just saw age in title...... molting is certainly a possibility.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  4. MandalaMaMa

MandalaMaMa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I have a RIR that's is 1 1/2 yrs old and has been laying soft shelled eggs off and on for the past month. More on than off honestly. It sucks and I'm like you they have oyster shells available at will. Some of my hens are moulting bad but not this girl. Hoping she comes out of it. Good luck.

5. AngieL

AngieL Just Hatched

May 26, 2015
    Central Illinois
    I'm glad to know this is normal. My RSL has been laying shell-less eggs for the past couple of weeks. three week before last and 4 last week. I have gotten 4 good eggs during this time that were quite a bit larger than what she normally lays. My other three girls are still business as usual pretty much except that my PBR has started her molt this week. So far she just has a bare bottom (and yes, I checked her over good for pests)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by