Soft shells with older chickens about 1-2 years old

Phillychicken

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2015
Question now some of our chickens are laying soft eggs.
We give them plenty of oyster shell etc. Any suggestions thanks. This has been for 1 week or so.

Oops.... Edit.... just saw age in title...... molting is certainly a possibility.

Last edited:
[COLOR=333333]Question now some of our chickens are laying soft eggs.  [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]We give them plenty of oyster shell etc.  Any suggestions thanks.  This has been for 1 week or so.  [/COLOR]

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I have a RIR that's is 1 1/2 yrs old and has been laying soft shelled eggs off and on for the past month. More on than off honestly. It sucks and I'm like you they have oyster shells available at will. Some of my hens are moulting bad but not this girl. Hoping she comes out of it. Good luck.

I'm glad to know this is normal. My RSL has been laying shell-less eggs for the past couple of weeks. three week before last and 4 last week. I have gotten 4 good eggs during this time that were quite a bit larger than what she normally lays. My other three girls are still business as usual pretty much except that my PBR has started her molt this week. So far she just has a bare bottom (and yes, I checked her over good for pests)

Back
Top Bottom