softball sized sack hanging from hens stomach

irf1983

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Brooksville, FL
One of my cochins has a fleshy pouch hanging down just in front of her vent. It is soft to the touch, I can't feel anything egg like. It doesn't seem to cause her distress, and it doesn't seem to hurt her when i touch it. It isn't a growth, it just looks like her stomach is stretched and hanging down. any ideas?

also if anyone has any good links on bumble foot surgery I'd appreciate it. thanks!

Yep, Jeeper. Everyday seems like deja vu
tongue.png
I feel badly for these hens with egg laying problems. You know, with a prolapse on any other livestock, you get the uterus back inside and put in a few stitches to keep it there. By the time they're ready to have another baby, they're usually good to go. With chickens...you might only get 24 hours before their next egg pushes the whole works right back out again. It's a mess and miserable for them.

Last edited:
I have looked up prolapse. From what I can gather, it is the uterus being pushed outside of the vent. There is nothing sticking out of her vent. The best way to describe it is a beer gut, hanging low.

I had a hen with this. It was ascites. Which is a fluid filled pouch. My hen was so filled that she was like a balloon. I poked it with an aspirating needle and drained her out on a towel. Just clear fluid--not smelly or infectious. You can try to stick it with a large gauge needle and see what comes out...or take the wait and see method. My hen was just fine after I drained her.
For the bumble foot surgery there is a great tutorial on it...I am not sure where it is; but a search should bring it up. HTH--Terri O

Back
Top Bottom