SOFTY SHELLS

penquin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
I have ten hens of different breeds which include barred rocks, light brahmas, rir's, Australorp's,easter egger,spotted sussex, black merin. I have four that are almost two years old(that's twenty four months or one hundred and four weeks, I got yelled at not using months or weeks). Then there are six that are five months or twenty weeks old. The six are just now starting to lay eggs and I have one( not sure which yet) is laying eggs that the shell is soft like rubber and are split open. Any ideas or suggestion?

thanks for your help
penquin

I'll be watching this thread for updates. I have some hens who I think have laid their first eggs, one soft shell (broken by the time I got to the egg box) and it looked like another which was a tubular looking thing. I split it open and lo and behold, it looks like only the shell developed (no egg) and bound itself into a tubular shaped piece before the hen extracted it. I'm baffled but none of them seem distressed at all so I'll just keep an eye on the hen house for now.

If anyone has experience with this type of thing please comment.

Thanks.

Some chickens take a little while to get used to laying eggs and get their eggs right. This is perfectly normal! Or, they might need some oyster shell. (not to be confused with grit. Grit are tiny rocks used for digestion. Oyster shell is a calcium supplement.) Oyster shells can be bought at any store that has chicken supplies. (Like a TSC or your local farm store.) Happy Chickening!
CG3

It's not uncommon to get soft shelled eggs or even one with no shell from new layers. It is just something that occurs from time to time until they get the kinks worked out of their egg laying systems. It's nothing to worry about unless it becomes a consistent thing.

Okay, I just read another post with same problem so I'm good on this and thank you to all that gave me fantastic help

penquin

Back
Top Bottom