Soil in the run stinks!!

KnitswithChickens

Songster
14 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Vermont
I've had my chickens for a year now, and last summer I was amazed at how they didn't really smell bad. I do clean the coop each week, and use a cultivator in the run to keep the earth turned over. Last year I also used a tarp when it rained to keep the run dry.

Last week we had torrential rain overnight which I wasn't prepared for and so didn't cover the run (yes I know, I'm babying the chickens!
love.gif
). Since then, my heavy clay soil is having a hard time drying out, and the smell when I turned the soil over last weekend almost knocked me down. It definitely was worse once I disturbed the soil. I've searched on the site for solutions and am confused about how many suggestions there are. Maybe someone out there has clay soil and found a solution. The run does drain - no puddles.

Thanks.

Yup that's how it gets when it's exposed to the weather. If you are anywhere near Morganton, Belle Farm Store on Kathy Road has Perma Guard DE. You can get it by the 50lb bag for a reasonable price. Sprinkle it around the run with a bit of scratch and let the chickens do the turning.

I drive up to to Morganton from Stanley, NC

LIme! Lots of dolomite lime. The sandy granular stuff that's just ground limestone whon't hurt your birds, in fact it's great for them to eat, hardens the old eggshells up, and it helps immensely with the stink. Cheap too.

Stay away form the hydrated powdered stuff it will burn them when it gets wet.

I'm in the same boat...my coop smells god awful as well and I clean it every day! Going to pick up the lime tomorrow and give that a try.

And the flys are getting bad this year!

I had just told THough1956 that I found info on this site about using ziplock baggies partially filled with water around the coop and run (obviously where the chickens can't get at them.) I've seen it used at outdoor patio seating at restaurants too. I tried it last summer and it helped (along with food grade DE). Didn't eliminate the flies, but they were dramatically improved. Hope that helps.

Quote:
What can I do about flies that have already made it inside to my enclosed porch and then into the house? Would the bags of water work inside? I have heard to hang these by your door but I don't have that option with our house...about to change from enclosed porch to screened porch as soon as we can get the coop/run done and move all the chicks off the enclosed porch!

Back
Top Bottom