Solar Coops?

Good question. I thought about it too but have been told that the solar powered lenses don't last that long with the technology yet. I don't know if thats true or not though.

A small commercial grade self regulating panel will cost about $300 and should last for a very long time. Higher output panels aren't much more expensive but require an external charge regulator as well ($$). The most cost effective battery system uses deep cycle 6 volt golf cart batteries and they will last up to 10 years if well maintained. Add in inverter if you want AC voltage but they can be quite expensive, and now you're involved in some significant source/storage/load calculations. Keep it simple and use 12 VDC. The good panels have a tempered glass layer. I had one panel glass shattered by vandals but the circuit was intact and three years later it continues to crank out the juice despite rain and freeze/thaw cycles. It's not quite as efficient as it once was, though. BTW - don't forget your fuses. This stuff can start fires.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom