solar heat from pop cans...

smarty pants
cool.png

wink.png
lol.png

I agree that aluminum is a good "absorber," but my question (which still remains unanswered) is, do you need to have the tubular chambers (cans or dryer vent). Can't see how that provides any advantage. If it's just about turbulence, you could smash the cans and nail them to the wall. Or cut them in half and let the warm air pass on both sides (w/o a chamber). If I'm going to go to the trouble of burning holes in cans and gluing them in tubes, I want to know if it's worth it! I'm calling every physicist I know (two). :)

I'm thinking the aluminum dryer vent hose would be good ,I know it's 4" dim. and the cans are only 2.5" dim. but with the vent hose you could easyly shape it in one big S shapes from side to side .
even if the in side air temp. goes up 10 -20*F from the outside temp. it would be well worth it

Well actually Aluminum is a "transferer" not an "absorber." The black paint is the "absorber."

I think the cans present an increased surface area for exchange. A dryer vent (hose????) would work, but not offer as much surface area.

Hi,
I know little about chickens, but I think that this thermosyphon solar heater might work well for a coop heater:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/solar_barn_project.htm

Its very simple and cheap to make, and it requires no fans or electricity. I use it to heat my shop, and it will warm it up to 70F on a day that never gets above 0F outside.
In the summer you could just close the exit vents to prevent heating.

If you want more preheated fresh air in the coop, make the inlet vents open to the outdoors instead of to the coop.

The taller it is, the more thermal chimney effect you will get, and the more flow through it.
I would make it big, and shut off some of the bays when you don't need all the heat.

----
Some solar heated stock watering tanks that might be adapted to chicken use:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterHeating/water_heating.htm#Animals

Gary

Back
Top Bottom