Solar lights

Dondjr79

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Got the timer, solar controller and led light all up and ready for winter.
va8yga2y.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Hi! Do you have more about your solar setup on another thread? If so, I'd like to read more about it. Thanks!

Hi! Do you have more about your solar setup on another thread? If so, I'd like to read more about it. Thanks!
I don't but I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have or post more pics

Thanks for your reply! I'm curious how you determined what charger and timer to purchase? I found one on eBay that appears to be similar to yours but it says it has a timer and a light sensor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/solar-charg...721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485d8ea0f9

I've got a 12 foot roper light LED from Lowe's that I'm wanting to use. I read somewhere else that someone was able to use rope lights and they worked fine to keep egg production up during the winter months. We don't get overly cold here in our area, so I'm not needing it for keeping them warm.

What size of solar panel did you go with? I'm thinking I need a 30 watt. Harbor Freight didn't have one in this range, so I'm considering purchasing one off eBay instead. Lastly, I was told I would need a power invertor and the one recommended to me was about $16.99 ----> But, I'm clueless if I need one or not.

Your feedback would be so helpful! Thanks, Robin

Sorry for the late response!! My phone never notified me of your reply!
That ebay controller is fine. Same one i have. I dont use the light timer/sensor because it only works at night. Turns light on at dusk and turns off after a set time. I belive in letting chickens put themselves to sleep naturally. I turn a light on at 3am with a 12 volt timer i got on ebay.
The problem with rope lights is they are 120 volt normal household current. Wich requires an inverter. That will drain battery faster.
My setup is all 12 volt. I have 12 volt automotive led light made by Grote. It draws less than an amp i think. I use a deep cycle car battery and my solar panel is only a 1 watt battery tender made by Solar Automotive Products. They make battery chargers as well. Staying with 12 volts is the best in my opinion. Again sorry for the delay. Any more questions please ask. I will be checking my app more frequently!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom