Solar power for my coop - I wanna be Green

Quote:
I find the best way to keep them comfortable is to set up roosts and nest boxes in front ot the TV. Chicken Run in the dvd player. The AC on, lots of watermelon out of season and my hubby and I fanning them.

They appreciate it.
tongue.png

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I find the best way to keep them comfortable is to set up roosts and nest boxes in front ot the TV. Chicken Run in the dvd player. The AC on, lots of watermelon out of season and my hubby and I fanning them.

They appreciate it.
tongue.png

Well I hope you do not let your chicks watch that movie. It is at least PG13 and not suitable for those younguns.

Quote:
I have to, I'm 6'7.
wink.png

Green is good! I wish everyone would think like this!!!!!!!! And do it.

Green is GOOD ? COOL , think I will except those 3 gallons of paint that friend wanted to give us and Paint the coop " John deer GREEN ".

and YES , I am very serious
big_smile.png

Last edited:
And for all you fish lovers with a wading pool, you too can raise catfish like they do in Indonesia, where they feer the young fish dried chicken poop, and throw them out like feed pellets. another good trick is to build a platform above your pool, and place all your dead chicken carcasses there, and cover with some old feed sacks. That way the maggots when get too full will rool off into the water and feed them too.

See what you atarted? Forget sewer systems, just channel your flushables into the catfish pond, and the water that leaves, let it flow into the veggie garden, then the ducks can have the rst before it enters into the neighbors property.

or you can set up your bathroom like some farmhouses in China where the "daylight" basement houses the pigs, and the bathroom goodies flow below for the hogs to munch on.

In fact, I think we should get a big tour and visit the really "green" places of the world . Maybe a BYC delegation.

I gotta confess, I dont take you serously. I do accept that YOU are serious about what you're doing, however.

More power to you, I say.

Wonder why none of the new greenies think about things like drilling their own wells for water? You cannot possibly be self -sufficient without your own water..that would be my first thought.....then I would be working on a wood stove to heat and eat with....start with the home environment first I think...jmho...well, ok, maybe not soooo humble, just my opinion...lol!!

I bought a solar panel to run a pump in my ponod last year, the panel was about 18" long by 12" wide and connected with what looked like jumper cables to the pump...sat in the sun for days and NEVER worked a second...worked on it until I gave up and threw it out...I have two really small ones with the panels about 4" x 6" and they work like champs and have for over a year, they just hook to a little hose and blow air through a small air stone. I love the concept ...in fact the windmill idea is appealing to me too...but for now I'll just compost, garden, can, and manage my critters and family....I'll leave the more creative methane gas conversion to my more colorful friends!!!
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Out west they have regulated drilling new wells for water. You cannot do it in most places without a permit and they aren't issuing those in most places. Too little water for too many people. Most of the areas that were flooded farm ground are subdivisions now (yes even if they are sitting there empty with no one living in them) and most of the remaining farms are converting to circle pivot irrigation, which is more efficient but doesn't put water back in the ground, so the water table is dropping all the time. When people try to drill new wells now in Idaho, other people get together and sue them to disallow it or turn the pumps off. It's quite a mess.

I never would have thought that drilling for water was regulated...I'll have to look, out of curiosity, to see if North Carolina has those laws...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom