solar set up to run a lightbulb in winter?

dftkarin

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
I have 3 chickens and am planning my coop and probably will not have added light during the winter because I can't easily run electricity to the future tractor/coop. What about something solar though? Is it possible to have a small solar panel that could be on the roof of the coop and collect energy while the sun shines, and then use that energy to have a lightbulb on a timer inside the coop? Could I also use that energy to energize some electric fence wire around the sides of a 4'x6' coop?? Is such a set up possible? Affordable? Practical?

I know they make solar chargers for fencing. We use on of those. I too have been wondering about lighting/heating the coop. Does anyone know?

Solar would be wonderful in a coup. But to have more lighting than an 8watt bulb or so, running electric wire & using a flourscent bulb is atleast less electric cost & a brighter bulb. Like outside here we have a few Dark to Dawn outside large pole lights that put off Alot of light ...just as much as any Mercury light, but only costs 60watts each in electricity, cuz the bulb is flourscent. So atleast we're not upping the electric bill. & have Wonderful light outside everywhere. & in the middle of the woods light is a must.
wink.png

I have a solar light just as a "night light" for the coop and it works well, but I'm sure you can find something to give supplement, the only thing I guess it will be on from the time the sun goes down to it coming back up. That may wear out the hens laying. They do need a rest so if there is a way to cut it on or off, that would make it ideal....

What I would most want is this: something that collects energy while the sun shines and stores it and then a 60 watt incandescent lightbulb I could have in the coop on a timer so it went on early in the morning during the winter months - so not on all night, and not just a flourescent or LED light because I would be aiming for light and a bit of warmth. I see "solar shed lights" at various places but the reviews make it sound like the lights are not pleasant or bright enough, and that they only stay on for short bursts of time. I'm still looking though - thank you all for the suggestions!!

Back
Top Bottom